Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How should I properly season a 19" wok (XL)

Wat's up Eggheads:

Let me preface this post with I am a newb when comes to wokking..... 

I just received my 19" wok from CGS last night. I watched a video (youtube) on how to season a wok and it showed the woman putting the wok in the oven for 20 mins or so at 400 degrees followed by frying chives to remove the metallic taste. 

I tried but my wok wont fit in the oven. Do I bake it then fry the chives all in the egg or is there a more preferred method to season? 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 
XL BGE 
Joe JR 
Baltimore, MD

Comments

• Just do the chive thing, and then start cooking.  The "science" of seasoning is way overanalyzed.  Don't try to dry fry anything for the first few cooks.  Oil is your friend.  Soon, it will be black and non-stick (to a point) and eventually, a patina will form.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• never mind :))

You are in good hands

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • never mind :))

You are in good hands

You are wise, Grasshopper.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    So will the food stick to the wok without the patina? I guess you are saying to use more oil to prevent sticking? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Yep, it is possible you'll get some sticking before the seasoning really builds up. Use plenty of a high smoke point oil (I like grape seed) for the first few cooks. It will be fine at the start and only get better with time. Definitely do the chives thing.

Enjoy, it'll be great.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Have access to a large gas grill? I've seasoned a few woks in my gasser and it works fine. Gives me a chance to use the grill for something other than storage. This was the last one I seasoned (used flax seed oil on this one): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I'd imagine it would work fine in your XL.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Is there any reason why he should not season it in his egg? I guess it might smell a little but if you scrub the machine oil off I don't see any reason why you couldn't season it where you are going to use it........on your egg. could be wrong but seems like it makes sense

• ahhh- i guess you may not be able to shut the dome if the wok is too large........

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    My 20" wok fits fine sitting upside down on the cooking grid under the dome. Dome clearance should not be a problem.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited October 2013
    @r2egg2q - naw man, i dont have a gasser. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD