Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty on a used Egg?

UrbanEgg
UrbanEgg Posts: 36
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
How does the warranty on a used Egg work?  

From what I've read it appears that the warranty only applies to the original purchaser who has purchased it from an authorized dealer. So I assume that a new owner of a registered Egg that has the receipt voids the warranty?  It seems a bit silly so I'm trying to convince myself that this isn't the case. This is also within the context of the Egg staying within the country of the original purchase.

Thanks!

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The limited lifetime warranty conditions are pretty clear, they apply to the original purchaser whose name appears on the purchase invoice and who has "registered their Warranty with the offices of the Big Green Egg."

The lifetime warranty coverage ends when the original owner sells their egg or dies, IMHO.  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • A dagger in my heart.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Bad news? Break something?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2013
    Certainly not being preachy- I buy used stuff all the time but this is why Centex does not buy used eggs. I've used my warranty enough to know that a few hundred dollars off a BGE is not worth it. If I could score one at 50% off, I might consider it but I would have lost money had I bought my current egg used at 50% off. I've had a platesetter, 2 fire boxes and rings, one fire grate and one base replaced under warranty. My egg is 8 years old and only the dome and hardware remain from the original.The rest is all under 2 years old

People might say that BGE should make a better product............fair enough. 

BGE might say, just buy a new one and we'll take care of you for life.............I think fair as well.

I chose door #2 and came out ahead.I'm sure others can tell you stories of how buying used worked out for them and I'm all for it. I just don't like "daggers to the heart" so I buy new. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414

Take this from someone who bough used.

I paid $300 for a large (with cedar table) in decent shape with a few accessories.  However, I have had to replace the hinge/band ($120) and the gasket ($30).  This puts me at $450.

last week, I noticed my firebox is cracked.  Guess what, I will have to buy a new one rather than have it replaced via warranty.  I don't know what it costs, but I assume $100-150. Now I am at $550.

For a extra few hundred, I would have had a lifetime warranty if I would have bought new.  I will use my firebox as is with the crack but now I fear what is to break next.  If the egg cracks, I am sol and will have to buy brand new and start all over.

Would I pay $300 again for the used large with the table (I spent about 10 hours + $50 bucks to bring it back to life)?  HELL YES I would.  But, if I were buying my FIRST egg again, I would pay the extra and buy with warranty.  Now when I eventually have to buy a new one because personally I think the egg cracking is inevitable, I will have a brand new one, and a cracked one...and will likely still use both!

Another tidbit.  My used egg did not come with platesetter.  I bought a new one.  It cracked 4 months later.  Because I bought new, from the dealer on this piece, replacing it was easier than I ever could have imagined (SHOUT OUT to RUFFS bbq in Denver).  I still haven not opened the new one, the cracked one works fine for now.

I think that kind of warranty service pays for itself quickly

Having said all of that (yeah, it was a lot!), it really depends how much the used one costs and what accessories come with it.

• Question....If a person has a used egg....Let's say the firebox cracks, do you have to take it back to the place you purchased it at? Can you take it to any dealer? How do they know you are not the original purchaser?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Question....If a person has a used egg....Let's say the firebox cracks, do you have to take it back to the place you purchased it at? Can you take it to any dealer? How do they know you are not the original purchaser?

You or the dealer needs to register it online, or you need proof of purchase, or maybe the dealer just remembers you buying it.  You don't have to take it to the original dealer.  You can also deal with BGE directly.
    I have "upgraded" my used eggs. Meaning I sold off the used ones I have bought and bought new ones for this exact reason. Actually demo eggs since I am lucky enough to live close to 2 great EggFests.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I think people on Craigslist don't realize how much the warranty is worth. If a small is $600 and they're asking $500.. I'll pass
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • UrbanEgg
    edited October 2013
    I didn't break anything.  I'm just being dramatic.  

I'm actually unloading my medium Egg and had mentioned in my ads that the "original receipt and warranty is yours" which as I have learned now is in fact not true.  I've have had quite a bit of interest so I just don't like having to backtrack.  Hate to see disappointed faces, ya feel?

Honestly thanks for all the feedback though.  Valuable input!

• UrbanEgg
    edited October 2013
    On a side note, I'm bringing my Large with me to Europa, will this void the warranty?
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    The moon around Jupiter? Man the shipping and handling will be EXPENSIVE.
    XL BGE
  • UrbanEgg said:
    I didn't break anything.  I'm just being dramatic.  

I'm actually unloading my medium Egg and had mentioned in my ads that the "original receipt and warranty is yours" which as I have learned now is in fact not true.  I've have had quite a bit of interest so I just don't like having to backtrack.  Hate to see disappointed faces, ya feel?

Honestly thanks for all the feedback though.  Valuable input!

good deal. Thought you bought one used and it broke. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • UrbanEgg
    edited October 2013
    Seanr7 said:
    The moon around Jupiter? Man the shipping and handling will be EXPENSIVE.
    Haha! It is expensive however we have favourable pricing for shipping and insurance along with our other possessions. Though its nothing compared the cost of a new Egg which is just astronomical from what I'm learning.

I literally sold the Egg on word 5 minutes ago otherwise I was learning towards pulling my ads and shipping it with the large. C'est la vie.  At least there will be another convert.