Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So Mickey and a blind hairlipped gorilla walk into a bar ...

Options
Actually, I cooked chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and cream gravy for supper last night.  A Texas tradition !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited September 2013
    Options
    That's a great start but, where are the biscuits?  =D>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I thought you and @Mickey had gone out drinking...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I did go to VI's house and were there chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and cream gravy: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Got to hand it to him. VI can cook.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    henapple said:
    For Real: The last time VI and I went out drinking it wrapped up by 4:00 (pm)... That is just sad...

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice. We're chicken frying up the last of our backstrap tonight. Should be tasty.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Mickey said:
    henapple said:
    For Real: The last time VI and I went out drinking it wrapped up by 4:00 (pm)... That is just sad...
    But, until 4, we were two "wild and crazy guys !"

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Mickey said:
    henapple said:
    not if you mean 4 pm the next day.
    :ar!
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Ragtop99    No..................... same day

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mickey said:
    henapple said:
    But, until 4, we were two "wild and crazy guys !"

Is it for the senior discount? I won't judge, you both are so young at heart!
  • Justacookin
    Options
    4 pm nothing to be sad about I am just happy to see the sun come up b4 I go to sleep or as SWMBO passed out.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Looks great. Made the gravy from scratch?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    My guess is it was from a box....  :(|)

XLBGE 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2013
    Options
    My guess is it was from a box....  :(|)
    From scratch.  It is very easy to make.

Take a couple of tablespoons  of drippings from your chicken fried steak cook, and add a couple of tablespoons of flour in a hot skillet.  Stir together until a dark roux is formed.  Slowly add milk (I had some half and half and some skim milk) and stir over low heat until the gravy thickens somewhat.  Add salt and pepper.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Scrape off those pieces stuck to the pan and stir them in also.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    • ½ cup chopped onions <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
    • 1½ cups chicken stock
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley  
    • 1 tablespoon of your favorite seasoning mix

Pour out and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the oil from the skillet in which the steaks were cooked, leaving the residue of juices from the meat and any brown crust remaining on the bottom. Heat over high heat, and when the oil sizzles, add the onions and cook until light golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons of flour and gradually add the stock, whisking constantly. Add the remaining seasoning mix and continue whisking until the gravy comes to a boil, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and parsley and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Serve immediately.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2013
    Options
    @billyray I'm sure that's excellent gravy, but it's not the traditional cream gravy served in every honky tonk and cafe in Texas for chicken fried steak.  The only seasoning in the gravy, besides salt and pepper,  would have come from the drippings and scraped pieces from the CFS cook.  Spices might include Mexican oregano, cumin, paprika, and definitely a little cayenne.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Dang, ya'll party like Rock Stars!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    excellent cook
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    @billyray I'm sure that's excellent gravy, but it's not the traditional cream gravy served in every honky tonk and cafe in Texas for chicken fried steak.  The only seasoning in the gravy, besides salt and pepper,  would have come from the drippings and scraped pieces from the CFS cook.  Spices might include Mexican oregano, cumin, paprika, and definitely a little cayenne.

You're right VI, It's more of a New Orleans style. Really rich, so we only have it once or twice a year, otherwise I'd weigh 300 lbs. :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.