Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Ribs

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning
Today I will attemp ribs for the first time.
My dinner guest I know enjoy fall off the bone variety.
I have some baby backs in the fridge, and they have been since yesterday with some rub on them.
Looking thru the archives, I beleive I will do direct on inverted Vrack for 2 hours them wrap in foil for a couple more.
My question is-once I wrap them can I put a sauce on them at this time or will 2 hours wraped in foil with a semi-sweet sauce burn the meat.Once wrapped should they go back into vrack?
I been boasting for some time how awsome these will be and I surely
dont want to disappoint any one--suggestions are greatly appreciated
I have to venture into town now for a couple hours So I will check the board when I get back
Thanks WW
WW

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    WW,[p]You ask many good questions - problem is that there are dozens of ways to cook ribs in the Green Giant and many different results too. I don't prefer the foil wrap method because you can't burn on the sauce (unless you do it early before the wrap) and you end up with very sloppy ribs. Now - some like them like this. I don't but it will produce a very moist (obviously since your steaming them in foil) with no crusty outside at all. Very "fall-off-the-bone" but low in flavor. [p]If you want the "fall-off-the-bone" results - then do the 60-45-30 method. 60 min direct add smoke flavor at this time - 45 min in foil - the last 30 min direct and you can burn on sauce here. [p]Cooking direct will yeild a drier rib than cooking indirect and I prefer a combination of the two. The link below goes to my website - lots of pics of these methods there for you to see.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]-- Tim M's BGE site --[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    WW, I like the best of both worlds so I do em direct for 4 hours at 250 -275F..Then sauce em if you like or leave em just rub and wrap in foil..put em back on the racks and either raise the racks on firebricks on edge or put in a drip pan with liquid for a barrier, and let em rest in the foil..One hour at 250 F will leave you with fall off the bone ribs and still a bit of crusty to em. Like Tim Says, the saucing is a bit of overkill, but still good. I like my sauce on the side and the ribs plain wrapped. Nice!
    You will see em pulling back on the bone, then time to wrap!
    Others leave em for 5 hours for a tug off the bone, moist, but slightly drier rib. Also a good rib..
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MRibs_06_09_0018_04_01_small.jpg
    <p />WW, I have to agree with Tim and C~W - we each have our own favorite method of making ribs - mine is low and slow (about 5.5 hours), indirect heat at about 225 degrees dome. First 2.5 hours indirect and I turn every 45 minutes, next 1.5 hours in foil still indirect and at 225-250 degrees. The last 1.5 hours get split - now is the time to add sauce if you want it - I flip at 30 minutes and sauce the other side - during the last 1/2 hour I remove the Firebricks and as Tim would say "burn on the sauce" - the exterior will be crunchy and the ribs will fall off the bone.[p]Just remember, there are no bad ribs. After visiting Tim's site, check out the link below - use the search function or look in left hand menu for ribs - GOOD LUCK![p]BTW - if you share your ribs today, I'll share my BGE BBQ'd Baked Beans!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Gfw,
    I think my times were on the minimum side - longer would be more to my liking. You cook yours pretty long - I will try your way this week while the wife is in NC. Seems most of my eggsperimenting occurs while she is out of town (about 99.9%). [p]You know I'll post all about it. Sure hope mine look as good as yours in that picture.[p]Tim

• Gfw
    07_09_0010_07_02.jpg
    <p />Tim M, as long as you are eggsperimenting, try the baked beans - the walrus posted the recipe at the link - they are now in the Dutch oven on my BGE - smell great. You may also want to try a little of the Memphis rub - put it on the day before and let cure. [p]Also a short not of thanks - the 1st ribs that I made were done by following the instructions at your site - now I do them about every week - love RIBS!

[ul][li]Baked Beans[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Gfw,[p]Hey - looks like vegatable baked bean soup. I would eat that!! Darn right. [p]I need to find a dutch oven. My wife has forbid (what's a word about 20 times more unambiguous than forbid) me from using her "grandmothers" stupid dutch oven. Maybe I'll cook up a load while she is gone this week and post a bunch of pictures of it. I will do the ribs, I have the webpage under construction already.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Tim M, mine is a Lodge that I picked up at a local kitchen store - so far I have only used it (several times) for chili – and this time for the baked beans which look awesome. The beans will be on the BGE until about 1:30 or 2:00 – by then a lot of the liquid will be gone and will look less like bean soup. [p]If you get a Dutch oven, check out the link - cleaning instructions by RhumAndJerk and seasoning by Spin. What a great combination![p]
    [ul][li]Cast Iron Notes[/ul]