Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 3.84 lb. pork butt plan

Skeeter Hawk
Skeeter Hawk Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Thanks for the tips on cooking times earlier today. This morning I slathered the roast in Publix brand spicy brown mustard, rubbed it in a variation of Elder Ward's pork butt rub, then wrapped it in saran for fridge storage till sunday morning.[p]From Eldar Ward's rub recipe I replaced 1T of peppar with 1T Chipolte, added 1.5t allspice, and 1T garlic powder. This rub smells a little like chille seasoning, which probably comes mostly from the 2T cummin in the original recipe.[p]I can't find firebricks in Florida yet, but at 9:00 a.m. I'm going to dash out and try to get a BGE pizza stone. My plan is to put the pizza stone on the rack, put a drip pan on the pizza stone, then put the pork butt on a V-rack in the drip pan. Cooking should start at about 10:00 if everything goes ok. [p]If I can't get the pizza stone should I cook directly over the coals, or still use the drip pan?[p]thanks
tim

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Skeeter Hawk,[p]As all pizza stones are capable of at least 350F, you should have no problem obtaining one. I have a thin one I use for low and slow. An empty drip will also work nicely.[p]Good luck with the cook.[p]Spin

• Well, the shop where I buy my BGE stuff didn't open until 11:00, and I wanted to get the pork cooking, so I went the direct route, just a drip pan and a V rack.[p]Threw on a handfull of oak and a big hickory chunk along with the pork at 10:30 and I'm Q'ing away now.[p]tim