Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill cleaning

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Back in the days of the gas grill if I wanted to clean the grill off I would simply forget to turn the gas off and the grill would burn the "leftovers" off. Then I would not grill again until the propane tank was filled. Obviously, if I can get the BGE to 700 degrees I should be able to do the same faster. Unfortunately, I noticed from a previous post that they had sierred their grill permanently closed by running the temp up for prolonged times.[p]So any suggestions?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    egg6000,[p]A ten minute run at 500F is plenty to crust the drippings on the grill for easy cleanup. Also works good for pizza stones.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    egg6000,
    I agree with Spin - a pizza cook or steaks seared will clean it off nicely. [p]The key to no stuck seals is good housekeeping. The seals will stick only if they get food, sauce, grease, etc on them. With the exception of a new seal (might have a bit of something from the factory) they should never stick unless a "glue" is added and baked dry. Mine are nice and clean and I avoid drips and stuff and I have never had a problem, at all. This can be a challange with the small and I would guess the mini too since they don't open very wide. The new bands should solve that problem when they are available.[p]Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    egg6000,
    It is quite possible to seal your Egg shut with insanity temps...anything approaching 1000F or above. There is really no reason to take it that high as your best searing temp is 650-750F.[p]As for cleaning the grate, many just like to let the high temps take care of it (like Tim M and Spin). Then kind of scrape off the big chunks. I am one of those others who have a fetish about clean grills. I spray some Fantastic (you can use oven cleaner) on the grill, let is sit awhile and clean it up real good with soap and water. It's really a personal preference thing. My way does take a few minutes to do.[p]JimW

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    JimW,[p]Burning off the grill at 500F will certainly eliminate all effects of any material left from the prior cook. Egg6000's question was concerned with possible sticking of the seal using his/her understanding and experience of how the grill is cleaned over gas.[p]Please don't insinuate that I consider a burn off as producing a clean grill, even with the "then kind of scrape off the big chunks".[p]The question was one of comparison with concerns for the cooker, not a request for cleaning technique.[p]Thanks,
    Spin

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Spin,
    That was not my intent in my post.
    Sorry about that.
    JimW