Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question from a noob

Options
dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have never been to Texas so I dont think I have ever eaten a properly cooked brisket.  The times I have cooked them, I have been disappointed.
I dont know what it is supposed to taste like but the final product tasted like pot roast with a smokey flavor.  Is that right?  

The last one I did I pulled at 205 and it was tender and fairly juicy.  It cooked fasted than it was supposed to and the fat layer didnt render off properly.  I cooked it at 250-275 and didnt wrap the brisket.

What did I do wrong?

photo IMG_20130527_072651_zpsd1819ae8.jpg

photo IMG_20130527_072711_zpsf0939d58.jpg
   -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• gerhardk
    Options
    I think it is hard to describe flavour.  The pot roast my wife makes pretty much falls apart, to me brisket should be tender but hold together when sliced.  You should be able to cut it fairly thick and not feel like you have a five minute chew to swallow it but on the other hand you still have to use your teeth.  I don't know if that makes any sense.

Gerhard
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited September 2013
    Options
    The burnt ends I made tasted awesome.  It was tender and tasted almost like a meatball or something.  My main issue with the brisket was the thick layer of fat remaining.  I was expecting it to render down more.  It reduced by about 1/2 or more but was still present in the meat.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    On the rendering, you may have had just a lot of hard fat on the brisket.  I trim the visible outside fat of my briskets to no more than 1/4" thick or less.  In some places (depending on the brisket), I and lopping off pretty thick pieces of nothing but hard fat.

As far as the taste, I'd say it is similar to pot roast but the texture is different like Gerhard described.  And to me, good brisket has a more luxurious mouth feel than pot roast. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I am not an expert by any means, did my first brisket on the egg only yesterday, but it was a total success.  I documented it well in posts yesterday, so I won't repeat what I did here, but I can tell you it tasted nothing like pot roast - it was spicy, smoky barbecue, and not dry at all.  Seasoning has something to do with that for sure, lots use just salt and pepper, I used a pork type rub.    I did do some studying in advance including a couple of short youtube videos on how to trim a brisket. You might find them helpful.   I got rid of the hard sections of fat, trimmed down the rest to 1/4" or so, and had no problems with how it rendered.  I did not do burnt ends, just sliced the whole thing.  

BTW, i had a cold brisket sandwich for lunch today with cheddar, it was deelish.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys.  I'll keep working on it.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That's what makes this hobby so much fun.

Experiment and play around with cooks to improve them.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio