Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

Got my Egg yesterday from a Fest and brought it home.  Got out there this afternoon to cook some ABTs for our neighborhood party.  Fired it up with one cube (came with the egg, will probably buy a propane benzo) and stayed close by shooting for 350.  Let it run for a bit, playing with bottom vent and upper to find that range.  Did pretty good at getting it stable at 3 fiddy and then put the plate setter in.  Watched and expected the drop. Let it run about another half hour and it settled back in at the desire temp.  Put the ABTs on, little drop, but let it ride and sure enough got stable again. 

Pulled them at an hour (so proud of myself for not opening the lid until I was ready to pull them) and they were a hit!  Played with the temp for a few more hours; ran it up to 450 and got it stable.  Think I'm gonna do a spatch tomorrow.  Thanks everyone for all the info y'all regularly put up.  Sure saved me some heart burn today.  Pays to come up from low to where you're going and not freak out of small things.  I found the camera only to find out the battery was dead.  Photos tomorrow I promise.
Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Sounds like a good first cook and a great way to get a handle on temp control. Looks like you are off to a great start. Welcome and looking forward to future cooks. Enjoy the spatchcock. A great cook on the Egg.
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Thanks Tj.  I just spatched my bird and put it out in the fridge for the night.  Any suggestions on the cook itself?  Any need to go skin down first or just get the temp stable and throw it on skin up and let it run?  Hoping my thermapen arrives tomorrow.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Sounds awesome, congrats. Spatchcock is a great cook, enjoy that. Before you buy another starter try a simple paper towel coated in a bit of old cooking oil. Use it exactly the way you did the cube. Easy, reliable, and practically free.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    "fiddy" gets u 50 street cred points. Congrats on the cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CP92
    Yeah, BB I was thinking about doing that as well.  I even read someone uses left over bacon grease.  Looking at my presto griddle catch tray, that might be the ticket too.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    @henapple being as white and southern as I am, you gotta pull out every trick you can to get points.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • I bought a wok I use for deep frying, and I just correct the used oil into a big jar. Works like a charm.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    CP92 said:
    Thanks Tj.  I just spatched my bird and put it out in the fridge for the night.  Any suggestions on the cook itself?  Any need to go skin down first or just get the temp stable and throw it on skin up and let it run?  Hoping my thermapen arrives tomorrow.

Don't bother skin down. Stabilize the temp, throw it on skin up, and let it go. 45 minutes to an hour. Breast at 165, thigh at 180. Cook to temp.
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    CP92 said:

@henapple being as white and southern as I am, you gotta pull out every trick you can to get points.

I'm country as George Jones and whiter than sour cream...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TJ has it right for a 400º raised direct with the chicken, if you use the setter you might need a touch more heat - 450º. 

Congrats on the celeb status ATBs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CP92
    Yeah, prolly use the platesetter for another month or so.  Supposedly Dizzy has a bunch of CGS products and offer a discount during DizzyFest so I'll pick up some stuff there.  Appreciate the info!
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD