Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked chicken

Options

Ok, did it at 350ish, couple hours. homemade rub and brined.  May have gone a bit too log as one breast said 165 and the other said 174 for some reason.  This was the end result.  Was pretty happy with the bark although smidge rubbery and the white meat was just a hair chewy.  What can I do different to have awesome skin?

Comments

• BigWings
    Options
    I find a temp of 400 is the secret to crispy skin and juicy meat.  A bird about the size in your pic wouldn't take much more than an hour either.

Looks good though!

New Brunswick, Canada

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I agree w. BigWings on using a higher temp for crispy. I run the temp up as high as 450 briefly toward the end if need be.

Work fingers under as much skin as possible, preferably a few hours before cooking, or overnight. A light dusting of corn starch  will also aid in crispness.

Altho' many commercial birds are much heavier now than what used to be standard, large birds may still be older birds. The skin on roasters will often be somewhat rubbery, and I've never had a stewing chicken that didn't end up w. rubbery skin.
  • gerhardk
    Options
    Have you tried spatchcock chicken, much easier to get an even cook.

Gerhard
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I'd cook three birds in 3 hours.One hour at 375-400 spatchcocked us what I do.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    hugewineo said:

Ok, did it at 350ish, couple hours. homemade rub and brined.  May have gone a bit too log as one breast said 165 and the other said 174 for some reason.   

Was the the left breast more done?  The back of the egg tends to be a little hotter since the coals have a habit of burning from front to back.  I normally put the chicken facing forward and the dark meat towards the back.

Was pretty happy with the bark although smidge rubbery and the white meat was just a hair chewy.  What can I do different to have awesome skin?

I do the chicken closer to 400*, or even a bit above, when it is cut up and that helps with the skin.  Not sure I'd go that high on a whole bird though.  A little baking powder or corn starch can help crisp up the skin.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.