Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ideas requested for Frenched Lamb Rack

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
SWMBO brought home a cryovac pack of two frenched lamb racks from Sam's.  I'm seeing they should run to 130 to 135 for med. rare.  Looking for techniques and recipe ideas.  I'm thinking a simple marinade of EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, thyme, then indirect roast at maybe 300 dome then reverse sear?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Your marinade ingredients look good. I like to cut the rack into 2 bone pieces so every bone has more crust. I'd recommend at least a few hours or overnight marinade. I like to apply a little rub (DP Red Eye is my favorite for lamb) before putting them on the Egg. Reverse sear method works fine. Keep in mind indirect roast time will be pretty short (check IT 15-20 mins into cook). I pull at 115 and sear 60 secs flip, another 60 secs and pull. Usually ends up right about 130 and will climb a little more during the rest.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
    Options
    Sounds like a plan, for a two bone.  If cutting them up, I probably don't need to go indirect; just flame on.  Found this Ina Garten marinade http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/greek-lamb-with-yogurt-mint-sauce-recipe/index.html that looks good and so looks like it'll be greek night.  Opa!  Need some Ouzo, 
    Member since 2009
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Put lemon and grated lemon peel in the marinade. I'd use rosemary without the thyme. +1 with R2Egg2Q for cooking method.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited September 2013
    Options
    They turn out fine cooked direct (raised direct for me). Here's some I cooked raised direct at about 400 for about 5 mins per side:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I generally do these in the oven on a foiled lipped baking sheet (lots of fat renders), but have done them in the egg as well.  I don't bother with marinating.

Remove from fridge an hour or so before cooking if possible.  Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt.  Cook indirect 10 minutes at 425F meat side down.  Remove from heat.  Cover with a mix of crushed garlic and country dijon mustard.  Cook another "10 minutes" meat side up at 425F.

They're done when they're 140F IT on the thermopen.  I check them at 10min, and frequently have to give them a bit more time.  Let them rest a bit before slicing between each rib.

I normally get mine at Costco, but also see them at Sam's.  The Cosco ones are one rack per package (I usually get packs that are around 1.5lbs) and appear to be much bigger lambs than the ones Sam's sources.  If yours are much smaller than 1.5lbs per rack, they'll probably cook faster.

In the oven, this has never been an issue...but in the egg, the exposed bone tends to blacken if not shielded.
    edited September 2013
    Options
    This is how they turned out...excellent Used Ida's marinade with added lemon zest for 7 hours cut in 2 bone portions. Grilled raised direct at 400 then removed the raised grid at about 115 internal then direct grilled at 550 or more to finish them off and pulled them at about 130 to foil for a 5 minute rest. Sliced them and added the premade Sabra cucumber and dill veggie dip with added mint and crushed red pepper. Sides were precooked bagged basmati rice and a Greek salad with kalimata olives tomatoes cucumbers feta romaine and a homemade red wine vinaigrette and some cheap Pinot Noir. SWMBO hates it when I take plated pics so you get the leftover pic. Sorry. Thanks to the Eggheads here for the help in executing this. Winner winner lamb chop dinner.
    Member since 2009