Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork spare ribs - Tell me how

Local family small grocery had pork spare ribs on sale for $1.99/lb. Baby backs were like $4/lb. Bought the spares but have never cooked them. Can anyone offer their proven methods?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2013
    The world is yours for spares. My personal preference is to trim them to a St Louis cut, remove the membrane, rub em down, and egg them in a 2-2-.5 at 260-270. Some people just go straight through without foiling. It's just whatever you prefer.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    come on man, at least try out the search function lol
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited September 2013
    search ribs man, there are multiple methods. pick one and try it out. I have cooked ribs different the last few times i made them. Different cook times/temps, different rubs, more/less foil time, with and without sauce, spicy vs sweet. 

I would say make at least 2/3 racks at a time and rub them with your favorite rubs and eat away. Most ppl love ribs so invite your friends over and have them critique your food. I make my friend be honest about the grubl i cook. lo
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Gat is right. I tried 5 different methods till I found the way I like them. I usually do this though... Cook 2-3 racks but each one different. I also have a few folks that I cook dinner for in the neighborhood. They buy the meat and I'll cook theirs along with mine. Hell, sometimes I just cook for them. I only ask that they're brutally honest with me. I can't fix it if they don't.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2013

spares?

got to get to bed now, but if you want more info I'll tell you in the morning about these killers from last night!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I can see the smoke ring from here @RRP! Nice

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• GATABITES
    @rrp - mmmmmm good! just the way i like them, with a little char.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    This is a slab of baby backs and a slab of spares. Both had totally different flavor, but both really good. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 for trimming St. Louis style (and smoke the flap meat along with the ribs-will finish earlier but great cook's treats, in beans, chili or straight up).  They generally take a little longer than baby backs but the finish indicators are just the same.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Full rack, untrimmed, 300 -325 dome temp. Takes about 3 hrs usually. No peeking, spritzing, mopping, foiling, flipping, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    YouTube trimming the spares. I like to cut them very uniform so that each rib cooks the same.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:

spares?

got to get to bed now, but if you want more info I'll tell you in the morning about these killers from last night!

Here's my method for these spares trimmed St Louis style:

Two fist sized hickory chunks in stablized 330 fire with foil covered PS legs up - full slab of spares cut in half - kosher salt, Dizzy Pig Raging River - NO mustard. Let dome drift up to 350 after putting ribs in bone side down for 30 minutes - turn 180 degrees for 30. Flip for 30 turn 180 for 30. Test meat temp between bones with Thermapen. Looking for 196 to 200 - judge from that point for how much longer to reach that temp point. That night I closed bottom and top after painting on 50/50 Blue's Reg and Blue's Tennessee Red - flipped and 20 min they read 201 so I cut, took pic, served  and DEVOURED!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Check out this link:

This site has a wealth of information about the science behind grilling and some great recipes to boot. I have tried this rib recipe and it is by far and away the best I have ever had!

-Josh
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July