Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering the adjustable rig combo

Options
I have been looking at this package from the CGS, it appears to offer the ultimate in flexibility for my XL.   I do already own a plate setter and pizza stone.  Do these become useless/unused if I have this setup?  In that I have these two accessories already, would anyone recommend something different?

Things I do want are:
1  the ability to sear close to the fire
2  two grate cooking for larger cooks (I use a second Weber grid raised with flower pots now)
3  The ability to easily add lump or smoking wood during a cook (I know most say it is not necessary, but I'd like having the option)

Looking for feedback
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Learning to Smoke
    Options
    I have the AR for my LBGE.   I haven't used the platesetter since the AR came home.  I still use my pizza stone.  I have the rig extender , and put pizza stone there, which has it high in the dome.  

I love the versatility of the AR.  You are going to enjoy your new found flexibility. 
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Haven't used my plate setter since I got my AR, but I still use my stone. They have pics on their site how to use your stone with the AR. For the record I'm still very much a newb with the egg.

If you truly want two grates and you plan on grilling and BBQ then I think you'll need to get the extender + the AR. I have the AR with the "D" grate sliding extender. which allows easy access to the bottom grate.

Or you can get the AR with the oval sliding grates, but you'll only be able to get ribs and smaller items in there. When I called the store he said that it's best for BBQ slow cooking.

I think the last option is the WOO and you can use you PS to save a few bucks, but that one still confuses me so someone else would need to chime in on that one :D

Adding lump is still not that easy but it's a lot easier/safer than taking out the PS while it's hot.

Edit: If you get the Oval stone you can pull the entire unit out in one piece, which would make it pretty easy to get to the lump. I didn't pick that option :(
    Aurora,OH