Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recent BGE owner in beautiful East Tennessee

Options
Hello all, I have been reading the forum pretty much daily for several months. Only yesterday was I finally granted permission to post. (Something strange going on there). We have a large BGE, for which I built a table, and most of the accessories including an Adjustable Rig. The only thing lacking is some sort of draft / temperature controler with a remote display. I just cant make up my mind which one and if i truly need it. We have had many successful cooks this summer including Spatchcock Chickens, Steaks, Ribs, a Turkey and several overnight Butt cooks. Love the pulled pork from the Butts! I have learned a LOT from all of you guys and it is really great to now finally be able to say Thank You! I am attaching a picture of our set up.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome from Murfreesboro. Love the table and especially the background.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks henapple!  I worked several weeks on the table.  I am attaching a picture of it during assembly.  I took it all the way from rough cut lumber.  Woodworking is one of my hobbies.  I cant take any credit for the background though.  I am fortunate to live in a remote farm community.  Three sides of our 8 acres are surrounded by a 700+ acre 'gentlemans farm' that is pretty well taken care of.  image
    1.JPG 458.2K
  • henapple
    Options
    We've always called East TN "God's Country".Where are you located?
  • Keefer
    Options
    We live in the Limestone Community in Washington County.  It is situated between Jonesborough and Greeneville.
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    I love the table but I love the east TN backdrop even more!  Greetings from west TN (Munford).
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    That is a great table, but I think I have a case workshop envy. Wow what a work shop.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

1) Welcome aboard.

2) It seems that in your first post, you are asking whether or not you need a temperature controller.  My vote is "no" but many here will disagree.  As long as you have some place on the charcoal grate beneath your lump that you know is not clogged, the egg holds temperature very well.  I have done several all-night cooks and I sleep very well knowing that the egg will take care of me and whatever is cooking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    Welcome from a Florida biy who tries to visits E.TN. several times a year.  Heading up in a couple of weeks hopefully to see some fall color.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    What a view!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lilwooty
    Options
    Nice workshop!  I love woodworking too and I am totally jealous of your work space.  I just have part of my garage to do my thing.

Living Large and XL

• Village Idiot
    Options
    @Keefer My sis-in-law lives 17 miles from you on Horton Hwy, Greeneville.  She has a BGE but not an Egghead.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    In my opinion you don't need temperature controller. I have rarely ever had any problems controlling the temperature. I do use a remote reading 2 probe thermometer (Maverick ET732) which alerts me if something goes wrong during the cook and I can take appropriate action.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Keefer
    Options

Thanks everyone.

I am leaning toward the dual probe remote reading thermometer.  I just havent had a bad experience (yet) with the egg not keeping its temperature.