Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy rub test

Has a 2 pack pork tenderloin so last night I halved them and tried 4 rubs from my sampler. Tsunami Spin. Raging River. Jamaican Fire. Redeye Express.

The wife's favorite was RR but thought the TS was too hot. Jake likes the TS and RE.

Mine in order. TS, RE, JF, RR. I'm saving the pineapple for... Well, pineapple. Pics are on the Canon... Sorry.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Was that a typo? You thought the TS was too hot? If anything, I would say the JF is the hottest of the bunch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    She didn't try it when I told her the name... Should have told her it was Cool Snowflake.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =)) I haven't used TS much, but I don't recall it having heat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Did you try the 5 pack or 11 pack sampler?  I was just getting ready to order one.
    Albion, PA
  • henapple
    Maybe spicy is a better adjective... Possibly could have overloaded the rub.
  • henapple
    The 11...
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

Thanks for the review henapple. I have tried the RE and Pineapple myself. IMHO I like the RE on beef. Really great on brisket. I love the Pineapple on pineapple it really compliments the natural flavor. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    We like the Pineapple on Ice Cream.

Hot vs Spicy It seems many people think when they taste spicy they think hot.
    I wonder why that is ?
    Pensacola,FL
  • Pineapple Head is awesome on pulled pork every time.
  • For fear of getting kicked off the forum, I suggest that Dizzy Pig is overrated in many cases.  I have bought each of their products, and while they are OK, they're not the ultimate rub or marinate for many of my needs.  I prefer Texas BBQ Rub for brisket and ribs, Montreal Steak Seasoning for Prime Rib, several Penzy's spices for soups, fajitas, etc.

I cannot name one dish where DP is my favorite spice.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• blaspheme! You are so outa here!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2013
    blaspheme! You are so outa here!
    Nay, Eskimoman.  I'm outtta héah.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• We prefer "native tundraites"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hey Henapple,  after I went through DP sample pack,Hearth and Grill shop on Thompson Lane in Nashville, sold me the whole line (6-8 flavors) at the website cost.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • For fear of getting kicked off the forum, I suggest that Dizzy Pig is overrated in many cases.  I have bought each of their products, and while they are OK, they're not the ultimate rub or marinate for many of my needs.  I prefer Texas BBQ Rub for brisket and ribs, Montreal Steak Seasoning for Prime Rib, several Penzy's spices for soups, fajitas, etc.

Are you using the Old #2 on brisket and Grand Champion on ribs? 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • henapple

Hey Henapple,  after I went through DP sample pack,Hearth and Grill shop on Thompson Lane in Nashville, sold me the whole line (6-8 flavors) at the website cost.

I might swing in next time I'm over that way. Thanks.
  • Hey Henapple,  after I went through DP sample pack,Hearth and Grill shop on Thompson Lane in Nashville, sold me the whole line (6-8 flavors) at the website cost.
    Did you have to ask for that price?  I was there this weekend and bought some Swamp Venom but definitely paid their retail price of $12.  Also, what do you think of that place?  That is where my wife and mom went to buy my egg (it was a surprise bday present from lots of family members swmbo organized).  I've been back in a couple of times to pick up a few things (cover, plate setter, rub), and while they haven't been unfriendly, I always have to go find someone to help me.  No one has ever greeted me or asked if I needed help or has ever been overly friendly/talkative.  Like I said, i've never had a bad experience, but I would expect them to be a little more out going since they are selling more high end items.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2013
    We prefer "native tundraites"
    Interesting spelling you all have.  Typical Canadian spelling.

We spell it troglodytes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

Like you, I use only Texas BBQ Rub for brisket and ribs. My preference is the Original but do keep some Grand Champion on hand. The one DP I love is Tsunami Spin on chicken. Perhaps some Raging River on pork chops.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Raging River and Dizzy Dust are my favorites.  I put Dizzy Dust on just about everything.  Raging River is amazing on seafood and sweet potatoes.
    Southern California
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    henapple said:
    Has a 2 pack pork tenderloin so last night I halved them and tried 4 rubs from my sampler. Tsunami Spin. Raging River. Jamaican Fire. Redeye Express. The wife's favorite was RR but thought the TS was too hot. Jake likes the TS and RE. Mine in order. TS, RE, JF, RR. I'm saving the pineapple for... Well, pineapple. Pics are on the Canon... Sorry.
    Thanks for your report, I have there DD & RR and LOVE them both, I am going to have to order all of them...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
    Did you have to ask for that price?  I was there this weekend and bought some Swamp Venom but definitely paid their retail price of $12.  Also, what do you think of that place?  That is where my wife and mom went to buy my egg (it was a surprise bday present from lots of family members swmbo organized).  I've been back in a couple of times to pick up a few things (cover, plate setter, rub), and while they haven't been unfriendly, I always have to go find someone to help me.  No one has ever greeted me or asked if I needed help or has ever been overly friendly/talkative.  Like I said, i've never had a bad experience, but I would expect them to be a little more out going since they are selling more high end items.
    I bought 6-7 rubs. called them first and did some negotiation. Got my egg from Foxx pools in Hendersonville, they matched Hearth and Grill's price. They were super and still are, Received box of starters in the mail at Christmas from them. Funny, had the EXACT SAME thoughts and treatment at H & G. It was like they didn't want my money. Have had same reaction on several occasions. Only went there for the Dizzy Pig rubs, only place in Mid-Tn I could find them.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

@VI Thanks for the information. I like DP but love to try others. I am going to order me some Texas BBQ rubs. I will must likely get the Origanal, No.2 and Grand. I have seen a lot of your cooks and am always amazed how well they look.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I too have only 1 dealer in my area. They suck. They also carry DP. I despise going in there for anything egg related. I ordered a bunch of the large rubs from DP online and explained how much I despised my 1 and only local dealer. They gave me a bunch of free sample packs of all the rubs I didn't order. That is how to treat a customer. Sad part is there are a few I just tasted with my finger and can't wait to put in my order again.
  • Dizzy Pig has the best customer service inside their store as well. I bought my Big Green Egg from them and all my accessories etc. The women that work the retail store part are always helpful and informative on how to best cook on an Egg. Without them I would have never gotten the woo and fixed my pizza problem.