Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE 3 Tier Cooking Grid

Options

Is there a better option?  Anybody know how much space you can put between the tiers? 

Albion, PA

Comments

• biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    Better option would be the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    biznork said:
    +1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• ClayWhite88
    Options
    I have this thing and believe me, go with the adjustable rig. Hardly any space between grates, the grates stick together so you cant pull them off of the tower and there is no way to get to food on lower levels because it sits so low in the egg. If all you want it for is a small raised grid then its perfect because thats all it is!

Sorry, havent been to happy with mine.
  • HorseMover
    Options
    biznork said:

Ok thats...that would be the AR I have heard people talk about?
    Albion, PA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Thats the one. Get it, you won't regret it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I have this one too and also am not a fan. I only use it for wings now. The center support eliminates ability to put larger items across the racks. Wouldn't be bad if it was able to hinge from the side.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• HorseMover
    Options
    Thanks...I will look into the AR now that I know what it is. LoL
    Albion, PA
  • HorseMover
    Options

I was having a difficult time telling the differences between the AR and Woo but just found this and thought I would share for anybody else interested.  This was cut and pasted from their site.

"So, you've wandered around the site and just can't decide which set-up matches your cooking style.  Well. here are a couple key differences between the Adjustable Rigs and Woo Rings that may help you decide.   We broke it down between Large and XL Big Green Egg® sizes.

Large Big Green Egg® 

• The Large Big Green Egg® cooking grid sits atop both the Woo (PSWoo) and Large Adjustable Rig.  The main cooking grid height for the Large Woo Ring is a smidge below the felt line.   For the Large Adjustable Rig, it’s two inches above the felt line.   For direct grilling (roasting) purposes, both are an improvement over grilling at the fire ring.   Some prefer the felt line, as it is a break point with the base and dome.  Others prefer the Rig's higher dome location as it provides slightly better temperature control.
    • The Adjustable Rig offers more set-up options for multi-level cooking.   So if you plan to do big cooks, it with the Large Spider are a better choice for the Large Big Green Egg®.
    • Both the Adjustable Rig and Woo can be set-up for indirect cooks.  With the Rig, use our 13" Round or 13"x17" Oval Stone.  With the PSWoo, use the BGE platesetter. 
    • The Sliding Grid system is an option for the Adjustable Rig only.   
    • Both the Woo and Adjustable Rig are not difficult to use.   The learning curve on each is quick. 
    • Both offer options to go higher in the dome: Woo3 Extender (while available) & Rig Extender. 
    • The Adjustable Rig has the greatest potential for grid surface, over 1000 square inches.   Not sure what you’d do with all that space, but it’s worth mentioning.
    • The Spider works best with the Adjustable Rig, as they were designed together.  
    • Since the Adjustable Rig’s main grid is above the felt line, it is easier to add wood chunks and chips to the lump.
    • The PSWoo has handles to grab to lift the unit in or out. 

Let it be said, you don’t need both, the Adjustable Rig and Woo for your Large Big Green Egg®.  Only reason to have both is if you own multiple cookers and want to play.   If you are still in doubt on which one to order, then we recommend:

1. If you plan on doing traditional grilling and barbequing on a small scale, the Woo is all you need.   Maybe add the extender/grid for a little diversity.
    2. If you are a grilling and barbequing enthusiast or plan on getting creative with your cooking, the Adjustable Rig and Spider are for you.   The Rig and Spider are more versatile than the Woo pieces.
    3. If you own the Big Green Egg® platesetter and are looking for a way to raise the grid on direct cooks, then the Woo (either PSWoo) will work.  
    4. Most cost effective method is the Woo.  Most versatile is the Adjustable Rig."
    Albion, PA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I have the BGE plate setter.  On the Large, is it possible to add the AR and then have two levels of indirect  low and slow cooking?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • biznork
    Options
    The AR is the best eggcessory that I own. I can't believe I waited so long to buy it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    500 said:
    I have the BGE plate setter.  On the Large, is it possible to add the AR and then have two levels of indirect  low and slow cooking?
    No, the dimensions don't work. I cut the feet off of my platesetter to use it as an indirect piece in the ar.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I've been pondering the AR as well.  But without a two tier indirect  method, I feel it's not providing enough use for how much it costs.  I wonder if adding the BGE half fire ring would drop the AR low enough.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • biznork
    Options
    Yeah. You need the spider to do two levels of indirect cooking. The spider and indirect stone with the drip pan is better anyways. I never use my old platesetter anymore.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013
    Options
    500 said:
    I've been pondering the AR as well.  But without a two tier indirect  method, I feel it's not providing enough use for how much it costs.  I wonder if adding the BGE half fire ring would drop the AR low enough.
    You can still do a two tier indirect with loads of room. Grid on fire ring, pizza stone or indirect piece on grid, and then two raised grids. If you get the spider and a medium indirect piece you can go even more.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    If they have not already, BGE should consider discontinuing the 3 tier.  Unfortunately tho if they do, I would assume they would replace it with something which could take sales away from CGS and others like it.  Although I do not yet own an AR setup for my large, I do root for the little guy-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• jeroldharter
    Options
    adjustable rig
  • KennyLee
    Options

Also take a look at the two-tier adjustable swing rack from Ceramic Grillworks.  Love mine.....easy to use, low carbon steel and can cook a TON on my large.  Far better than the BGE 3-tier you mentioned.

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    I bit the bullet and got the adjustable rig up front and used it on the first cook. I seldom cook without it because it gives you so many options. I can't imagine not having it. I highly recommend it.