Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good

Found a new distributor in Dalton, GA for Wicked Good.  Becklers Carpet.  After all the Ace Hardware issues with Wicked Good, thank goodness I found this place. 

Comments

• Heard a little negative press about Wicked Good's new supplier in the forums recently. However, I just purchased 2 bags last week, and must say that I was pleasant surprised (in a good way) by the quality and size. Was exactly like the bags I had gotten in the past. Couldn't tell a difference at all in the bags I had. Actually had the same huge pieces that I had to break in half, and lit quick, and maintained the heat for a few low and slows.
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Glad to hear Biggins!  I just bought five bags a couple of weeks ago and then saw all the negative comments on a thread.  Still haven't used as I am finishing up a bag of lump now.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • I stopped by my local hardware store / BGE distributor for some lump this weekend and picked up a 22# bag of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior (they just started stocking it).  I thought twice about it due to the bad press a few weeks ago however I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.  Nice large lumps and a hot fire.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2013
    I'm one of those who got burned by the quality drop-off. :-t
    I'm glad to hear that maybe they have fixed the problem.  I just stocked up on some Rockwood, but I'll be watching over the next few months to see if the WGWW quality stays at the old level.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited September 2013
    It's gonna be hard to beat Rockwood... I wish I'd bought more when I was there. Next time...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    edited September 2013
    ^^^ I have most of a bag of wicked good to burn up and then I start on the rockwood.  It's not as dense as the old WGWC, but I'm looking forward to using it.
  • I've burned about 160lbs of WGWW(Purchased in May) and the pieces were wicked small, and about 1/4 bag of dust.  Once going it burned fine, but for the cost I was expecting something much better.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
     I got burned by the drop in WGWW quality as well coincident with the packaging switch.  I'm waiting til I see positive reviews that they have fixed their quality problems before buying again.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I contacted them about a pallet months ago and the owner did mention that the quality from the last supplier was poor.  Was going to sell it to me cheaper.  Said once that supply was gone they were going back to the old.....
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited September 2013
    Not necessarily, take a white oak and a soft maple for example. While I've never made charcoal I would be willing to bet the white oak charcoal would be more dense and heavier then the soft maple. Sure its all lighter than raw wood but I don't think your analogy is an accurate one. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I have used both and the major difference I experienced between RW and WG was that RW came to temp much faster.  I mean much faster!   In general, RW chunks were more consistent in size.  WG had many more larger and smaller chunks.   Still useable but tip the scales to RW on size consistency.   I'm very pleased with both.

Also, WG had a bad batch this past year so I'm not considering that in my analysis.  Lastly, I'm in the middle of a 3 pallet RW purchase now after the last 2 years with WG only.   

Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Actually I use RO mixed with Wicked Good. The smaller RO pieces fill the voids that the bigger chunks of WG create. That saves me from breaking up the large pieces that are WG.
  • I have recently switched to Rockwood and find it to be as good as everyone says. For 6 years used only BGE brand and it was fine, I just had to see for myself what all the talk was about regarding Rockwood.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    @EGGARIFIC Thanks for the information, What kind of price tag do they have on it? I might drive down and pick me up some.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• I don't like the flavor of Wicked Good. Here's the hardwood flooring I found in the first and last bag of Wicked Good that I purchased (see attached)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That hardwood flooring really tied the room together, did it not?!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2013
    @stlcharcoal Shipping Rockwood to the Atlanta area any time soon? Do I need to start a group buy?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Soon, hopefully. Just had a pallet ship last week to Conley, ga for a group buy. All you ATL guys need to get together as it will save you a ton of money if you do one big group buy.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 said:
    ^^^ I have most of a bag of wicked good to burn up and then I start on the rockwood.  It's not as dense as the old WGWC, but I'm looking forward to using it.

What are you looking for in "density"?  Do you mean heavier and more "solid" chunks of charcoal?  Density is related to the remaining wood content left in the charcoal.

Yes, I'm referring to mass per cubic volume.  The density of charcoal can vary by more than 2X depending upon the wood source.  Charcoal density of hardwoods is greater than that of soft-woods. 

The old WGWW was noticeably denser than most other brands (at least available locally to me). Many people really liked it and had excellent results with it.  I doubt it was under-carbonized, but I just burned it in my grill and never sent it out for lab testing.  I did not observe unprocessed middles or smell odors that would be characteristic of under-carbonization.

I wasn't inferring anything negative about your charcoal (or any other brand) in my density comment.  I liked the old WGWW and would be using it today if they had not let the quality slip.  I'm hoping Rockwood will become my new favorite.