Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh, so that's what the problem was

Last night I went through my standard process of stirring the leftover lump, topping it off with fresh lump, and then wiggling the electric starter into the pile.  I plugged everything in, set the timer to 7 minutes, and headed inside to start prepping the steak.  When my timer went off, I went outside and immediately noticed that the coals weren't hot.  I checked to make sure I had everything plugged in properly, and then went into the garage to check the GFI, since the outlet on the back of the house is part of that whole circuit.  Sure enough, it had tripped.  I unplugged the sprinkler system, re-set the switch and went back out to check the starter.  Again, it wasn't heating up.  Back to the garage, and it had tripped again.  I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong.  Finally, I just gave up on the starter and pulled it out of the lump.  This is what I found. 

99% of the time, I've kept the starter inside a dry bin, out of the elements.  One time I left it out in the rain (unplugged, at least) and apparently that was enough to make the heating element rusty/brittle.  By jamming it into the charcoal over, I snapped it.  No wonder it wouldn't work. Thank God for GFI, huh? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments