Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II Problem

Last night I  noticed that my DigiQ was extremely slow to respond and bring my egg up to temp.  It lagged 70-80 degrees behind my dome thermometer.  Eventually the DigiQ display read "28" and would not move from that number.  Today I did the ice and boiling water calibration tests.  Surprisingly enough my BGE dome thermo is dead on.  My pit and meat probes are ~40 degrees off from one another.  The "28" code also repeated itself today.

Scratching my head...time for a call to The BBQ Guru.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Clearly there is a connectivity or mother board problem. Did you get any moisture on or in the DigiQ? I got moisture in it and had to replace the mother board. I also had one of the probes go bad and had to have it replaced. 

The Q does not know if it had a pit or food prob plugged in. So to test the probe vs digiQ unit,  you can plug just one probe into the pit receptacle and see if you get an accurate reading. If it works, plug it into the food receptacle. If it works, you can kind of eliminate the DigiQ unit. If it does not work, try the other probe and see if it duplicates the problem.

The short version is, does the problem follow a specific probe? Does it follow a specific receptacle or just not work at all. I think from that you can narrow down the issue so when you call the GURU people on Monday, you can tell them the issue.

Best of luck!

PS for me, they were great to work with. Get to Lisa. She is awesome and tell her Scott the Magicman said hi :).
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035

Thanks for the input.  I store my Q and probes in the kitchen cabinet...so I would not suspect moisture.  I did reverse the probes in my experiment and find my pit probe to be more problematic than the meat probe.  But my concern is that in duplicating with the probes in reverse order, the food probe plugged into the pit probe jack measured off by ~30 degrees.  The food probe when plugged into the food jack was fairly accurate...or at least within a reasonable margin of error.

Thanks again

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Do one probe at a time. Either way though, sounds like you need to lob a call over to the GURU folks and explain your problem. It does sound like the food probe, may be the culprit, but I woudl let them determine that.

Did the error 28 go away?
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    edited September 2013
    Eventually the 28 goes away....but have no clue what it means.
  • KKFan91
    KKFan91 Posts: 1
    My recently bought DigiQ developed this problem, which I figured out after a hold awaiting tech support transferred to closing time voicemail. I then took apart my DigiQ (one phillips head screw, one warning not to do this in the manual) and the problem was obvious. Anyone who could get a one second glance at how this works could fiddle with their unit to fix the problem. The idea that we're not supposed to look, with the manual not offering a picture, is typical of modern life.

The rubber buttons are effectively a disguised plunger, that makes contact with a copper landing pad on the circuit board. There is no way the circuit board can be at fault, the problem is entirely with the entirely passive button assembly. If the plunger gets too close to the circuit board on its own (under a hot sun?), it closes the circuit and the board believes that a button has been pushed. In my case this was the "down" button for the pit set point. Less of a disaster than the "up" botton, as the fan simply turned off rather than incinerating my meal.

One can imagine how proud one might be of this design. Until it fails.

I post this because googling "digiq button problem" comes here. Forum threads are never for the OP, though everyone acts as if they are. Forum threads are a troubleshooting database for posterity.