Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef T-Loin (5+lbs) for pops 70th, need suggestions...

Options
Lowflyer
Lowflyer Posts: 785
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Party tonight for my pops big 70th and I get the honors of cooking the beef t-loin.  I did a seach and didn't come up w/ all that much info.  Thinking a quick sear then roasting it up to temp (130ish) or reverse sear.  Any suggestions on rubs, marinade, etc. is greatly appreciated.  And any tips on keeping warm will help, as I will have to transport to my sis's house about 10min away.  Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

The most common mistake I make on these is overcooking them a little - they end up close to medium when I am shooting for just a touch past rare. They cook more after they come off - especially if you wrap them in foil - than you would think.

If you are really shooting for 130, if you sear then roast, pull at 120.

If you decide to reverse sear, pull at about 105 before you sear it. Even if you undershoot a little, the slices in the middle (middle 1/3) may be just a little too rare, but the rest will be just what you are shooting for.

As for the rub/prep, don't overdo it - just something simple that allows the beef to shine. I like Montreal steak seasoning, others like just salt and pepper. One important thing is to let it warm up outside the refrigerator for at least an hour before you put it on. If you put it on cold, by the time the middle reaches your target temp the outside is definitely overcooked.

Good luck!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lowflyer
    Options
    Thanks Fog. Good info. About to get this beast underway.
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    These things cook quick!!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    And? Final temp? How was it?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lowflyer
    Options
    Fog it was great. Roasted to 105, seared up to 123-125, then roasted a Lil bit and pulled. Let it sit uncovered for a few, wrapped up and took to my sis's and ended up w this:

• Lowflyer
    Options
    Pics won't upload. Will try later.
  • Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    Options
    Are you sure that's a tenderloin!!?
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    I'm sure, I cooked it and ate it, along w about 14 other folks. And they raved about it.
  • Lowflyer
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks perfect!  Nice job @lowflyer

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lowflyer
    Options
    Thanks Smokey!
  • Foghorn
    Options

@Dfishel, that looks exactly like the tenderloins we get at our local Costco.

@Lowflyer, that looks outstanding.  What temp did you use for the roast part of the cook? And did you use any wood for smoke?  I forgot to mention that for tenderloin I typically don't use any wood - again because meat is the star.  Smoke is for lesser cuts.  Whatever you did clearly worked out well.

San Antonio, TX

• Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    Options
    It looks great!! I was joking, my wife looked at the picture and thought it was something "dirty" not a tenderloin.
  • Foghorn
    Options

Dfishel said:
    It looks great!! I was joking, my wife looked at the picture and thought it was something "dirty" not a tenderloin.
    Well, it is about the right size...

San Antonio, TX

• Lowflyer
    Options
    Dfishel said:

I kinda thought the same thing after u posted...

• Lowflyer
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@Dfishel, that looks exactly like the tenderloins we get at our local Costco.

@Lowflyer, that looks outstanding.  What temp did you use for the roast part of the cook? And did you use any wood for smoke?  I forgot to mention that for tenderloin I typically don't use any wood - again because meat is the star.  Smoke is for lesser cuts.  Whatever you did clearly worked out well.

Fog, I had the grate at 350 for the roast with no wood added. After the sear, I put the plate setter back in and dialed the temp down around 300 and let it sit for a few min. The wife is preggo and wanted to make sure this thing wasn't bleeding. Turned out great.
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    Nailed it!
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).