Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Hot sauce recipe

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Got some more peppers and am going to make another batch of hot sauce this weekend.

It turned out a little "grainy" last time. Some of you were test subjects so know what I'm talking about.

I did a standard carrot, tomatoe, vinegar, onion and pepper than blended an boiled.

Was wondering if anyone had any good recipes they used?

I'm going to roast some peppers on the egg and dehydrate the others. I plan on straining it this time.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Do you mean hot sauce like Tabasco or Frank's or like a Mexican salsa hot sauce type thing?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have 23 lbs of Hatch peppers and about 2 lbs of Habeneros. I plan on making sauce this weekend, I'll let you know what I come up with. 

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I still use the family secret recipe my mammy and her mammy used.  It's rather complicated, so you might want to print this out and refer to it while making the Willson Secret Hot Sauce.

1:  Put a bunch of chile pequins in a bottle of regular white vinegar.
    2. Cork the bottle
    3.  Let age.

It's fantastic on mustard greens.  mmmmmmmm !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think the carrots may have given it that texture. If you want a tabasco-like consistency then doing what you did last time and straining it should give you a thin hot sauce.

If you want a little thicker but not too thick (like El Yucatero or similar) maybe boiling it a little more will be enough?

The bhut jolokia hot sauce was damn good though, and much enjoyed!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Well I'm wanting Tabasco consistency. What if I made it and strained it and used the paste for something too.

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Strain it and use the paste on chicken breasts or beef. Had a veal heart appetizer recently that was grilled with a chili paste and it was superb.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.