Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time reverse sear

I got my LBGE in March. I've been reading this forum for a few months, and after seeing it on here I decided to finally try a reverse sear rib eye. My only complaint is that when I go to a nice steak house I may be downgrading from what I can do at home. WOW, was that steak amazing!

Saturday I'm having people over to watch football, drink beer, and eat grilled pork steaks, wings, and smoked ribs. My friends now love coming over for cookouts. I credit the egg and the great posters on this site, cheers!
St. Louis, MO

Comments

• Great job. I have yet to try the reverse sear.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Did my first one the other day. Fantastic. I'll never go back. I'm new to this thing too. Got mine a few weeks ago. Was a weber kettle guy for years. Sold my last weber on Craigslist last Sunday. I can never go back. Enjoy!! This is a great forum, filled with helpful people, and great info.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2013
    imagePersonally the reverse sear is the best way due to the control it allows. i just have never been a fan of the T-Rex as to me it is bassackwards with the properties of a ceramic egg. Now you want the next challenge to the best steak ever which can also be applied to larger chunks-o-cow! The method is called hot tubbing. Last weekend I hot tubbed a 2 pound prime rib for 90 minutes which got the internal temp up to 116 before going on my egg for a reverse sear. Talk about results to make a grown man cry with joy...trust me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Here is a reverse sear PR I did. Do one of these bad boys and your friends will move in.

• Reverse sear has been the preferred choice for me for some time when doing steaks and chops. Little Steven suggested trying no sear at all with a rib roast, it was amazing. Depends on wether the crust is important in your final plating. 
    Some times we like the crust, sometimes just a horseradish garnish. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!