Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork chops

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I don't know why, I've just never really cooked pork other than ribs, rack of pork (and tenderloins and boneless loins once each).
The other day at the store, I bought a pair of "Thick cut pork rib chops".  They're around 1.5" thick, 1.75lbs for the pair.  I can't tell for sure with them still in the package, but it looks like they have two small different bones in each chop. 

I've read some really different methods for cooking them, ranging from brining for 6 hours to just salt and pepper like a beef steak and throw on a 300F egg for 10-15min per side til 140F IT.  Is the 6 hour brine worth the trouble?  If so, would 10+ hours hurt?  It's hard to start the brining process from work.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Same here.  Pork loins, ribs, etc. But still haven't done pork chops on the Egg yet.

I absolutely love the smoked pork chops at Hofbrau Haus here locally too.  Got to rectify this soon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Since they are chops, you can brine for 2 hours. Just look up ratios online.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Nice looking rib chops. I like to do these with a reverse sear, get a nice edge to edge with IT of about 120-125º. Pull them and then blacken in a CI (I use a side burner on the gasser) or wait few minutes until the egg is up to lava temps, take IT to 135-140º and serve. 
    The low and slow at 225-250º may take 30 minutes or so, enough time to get some smoke and rub magic on the chops. Also, lot harder to overcook them as it happens much slower.

You can also get a rack "of chops" roast..... really good. Here's one with about 20 minutes left to go....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Brined for 2 hours, seasoned and cooked raised direct until IT of 130. Pull and reverse sear for 90 seconds per side. IT was 140, great taste.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    2 to 4 hours in brine will make a difference. For the better IMHO
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    During the holiday season Costco sells the whole rack. We usually buy several and cut them into two rib portions. Have one left.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • MrPotatohead
    Options
    Well...You do have some nice fat on  / in those chops, but my thought is always a YES when it comes to brining.
    I perhaps go over board, but brining is the big secret that the professionals use.
    With your chops...Here is what I would do.

First a 6% brine. Basic rule, buy you can always add a flavor:
    1 qt. of water
    1/4 C. of Morton's kosher salt
    2 T. of sugar

For Chops it only takes 1 to 4 hrs in the brine, but then...
    A soak out for maybe 15 minutes and a rest in the fridge. for 2 to 3 hrs.
  • njl
    Options
    Nice looking rib chops. I like to do these with a reverse sear, get a nice edge to edge with IT of about 120-125º. Pull them and then blacken in a CI (I use a side burner on the gasser) or wait few minutes until the egg is up to lava temps, take IT to 135-140º and serve. 
    The low and slow at 225-250º may take 30 minutes or so, enough time to get some smoke and rub magic on the chops. Also, lot harder to overcook them as it happens much slower.

You can also get a rack "of chops" roast..... really good. Here's one with about 20 minutes left to go....
    That's a rack of pork.  I've cooked several of those in the egg.  These were the first individual chops.  I decided to combine elements of multiple recipes...and as another first for me, used one of my CI pans in the egg.  After about a 5hr brine (kosher salt, brown sugar, ginger, a bit of fresh ground pepper), I cooked them in the cast iron pan directly on the grate at about 350F for a total of about 20min, flipping them every few minutes.  After about 10 minutes, I tossed some split garlic into the pan. 

I didn't realize til the end that the pan was not evenly heating, so I think I overcooked one of them badly, the other not quite as much.  I guess next time I try this, I should use the plate setter as a diffuser.  They're resting now.  Will update in a bit.
  • njl
    Options
    These really were pretty good...definitely worth doing again.  $6 dinner for two.  I crushed some of the cooked garlic and spread it on mine.