Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket done too early

Options
Csg
Csg Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As you know I was smoking an 11.5 lb brisket. I put it on at 2:30 yesterday afternoon. When I awoke at 5:30 this morning the meat temp was 188 and the dome temp was 200. The fork test said it was done and I moved the polder around and it said that the 188 was correct. I removed the brisket (with difficulty- it tried to tear apart) and it is now in foil, a warm towel and in a cooler. Do you think it is truely done. I guess my dome temp must have gone up during the night.[p]Thanks Carolyn

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Csg,
    If your fork says it is done, and internal is near 190, you probably pulled it off at the right time. Why it finished in 15 hours I am not sure...but goes to show how every one cooks differently. It will still be steaming hot in 4 hours.[p]If you are not eating it until dinner, it would probably be advisable to refrigerate it, and reheat it for dinner.[p]Well, just remember...better early than late![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Csg
    Csg Posts: 17
    Options
    Nature Boy, Thanks for the quick response and the reassurance. We are probably eating around 1:00. I will let you know how it turns out.

Carolyn

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Csg,
    It'll be perfect. Just wait until you pull that steaming chunk out of the cooler and unwrap it!! The smells will knock your socks off.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Carolyn,[p]Your brisket will come out great. I think it would be wise to not open the cooler during this six hour period and the meat should stay real warm. Let us know how it comes out.[p]Old Dave

• JohnL
    JohnL Posts: 27
    Options
    Csg, sounds like you done good on the brisket. I think thats the main thing, tenderness, with a brisket. When you said you couldn't hardly get it off the grid without it coming apart says it's done. Mine is 10.5 lbs and I just got up and checked it, internal is 168 in the point and 175 in the flat. I got it on about 6 pm last night. I was going to get up earlier to make sure I still had fire, but I think this cook had a few to many Homebrews last night. :) But, all was well when I got up, still plenty of lump and dome temp at 240. Let us know how it tastes. I'm sure it'll be fine.[p]John