Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Second Attempt

First one disappointing and dry.  This one was solid!  Very pleased with the results.  It was very moist and flavorful with a good smoke flavor.  Now, my next question is where is the awesome smoke ring you always see in the BBQ Pitmasters turn ins!  I had it on for over 5 hours with some pecan and cherry chunks but I cant really see a ring with the finished product.  Any tips and tricks to get a nice defined smoke ring?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Keep it moistened at the beginning of the cook since the molecules that lead to the ring are water soluble. Start it right out of the fridge to maximize the time to 140 degrees.
  • Disagree with eggselsior. If you are burning actual wood(stick burner) you will get a smoke ring. If you are burning lump you need to add nitrites to your rub. I add pink salt (curing, not Himalayan or Hawaiian- those are sea salts) when I want a smoke ring. Water is important there too but you won't get a smoke ring with just a water pan.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @R2EGG2Q posted this the other day and the brisket has a great smoke ring:

He mentioned that he put the meat on cold, and during the first couple of hours kept the temp very low, used a heavy dose of oak and cherry wood,  and used a spray bottle to moisten the meat.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Had a great smoke ring yesterday. Straight out of the fridge, 8 hours to 145 degrees, water pan, sprayed with apple juice, and cherry chips mixed liberally with the lump.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2013
    I always put it on right from the fridge and use oak chunks. Doing this simple method gets a good smoke ring for me on my medium. This rub was just S&P and Bad Byron's.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• I keep the meat moist before I put it on, and I use a good amount of smoke up front.  Drip pan with a small amount of water in it to catch the fat.  I get modest, but decent smoke rings on my Large.  If you want big, thick "smoke" rings, though, Cen-Tex's pink salt method is probably the way to go.  If you don't mind ones like those pictured below, though, I don't think it's necessary.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • hugewineo said:

First one disappointing and dry.  This one was solid!  Very pleased with the results.  It was very moist and flavorful with a good smoke flavor.  Now, my next question is where is the awesome smoke ring you always see in the BBQ Pitmasters turn ins!  I had it on for over 5 hours with some pecan and cherry chunks but I cant really see a ring with the finished product.  Any tips and tricks to get a nice defined smoke ring?

Looks like you got a great end product - tasted amazing, which to me is more important than a smoke ring. IMHO, taste is much more important. I would not worry about the smoke ring, unless you are planning on going for competition.
    Everyone I cook for are more interested in how the cook taste - make things pretty with the sides if you looking to impress with looks.
    All this talk / work about the smoke ring is lost on most anyone who is not "into" bbqing.
    Just my 2 cents.