Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT apple peeler and corer

Options
Firemanyz
Firemanyz Posts: 907
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
In the market for an apple peeler. Who has a favorite brand and why? Also do you have one that just plain sucks please let me know. I have looked at a bunch on amazon and would love some real feedback. I want to make apple sauce with apples from the orchard up the street. Thanks

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have a microplane one and love it. Super sharp and fits in your hand similar to a palm sander. I love the control.
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    Those look pretty cool, but I was looking for the kind that mount on your counter that peel and core the apples.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    The inexpensive metal peeler/corer from the hardware store work fine. They make a spiral cut, peel and core the apple. Great for working through a lot of apples for apple crisp in a dutch oven on the egg.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Sorry about that, I didn't read enough.

I have the same one as jeroldharter. It is what it is for the money. Certainly doesn't blow me away but it gets the job done.
  • JenGang
    Options
    I personally don't like the peeler, slicer, corer combo.  I make applesauce every year and if you get apples that aren't perfectly shaped, it doesn't always get all the peel and sometimes there will still be some of the hard membrane that surrounds the seeds. I do it the hard way and peel all my apples by hand, quarter them and then cut out the seeds.  Throw the apples in your pot in quarters and the will break down as they cook.  As they get soft, I use a potato masher to break them down more.  I like a chunky applesauce but if you like it a little smoother, I guess you could run it through a food mill or use an immersion blender.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I just ran 3 five gallon buckets of apples through one like jeroldharter talks about. I made applesauce and apple butter. It works fine. I also used it to peel some potatoes one evening.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Swmbo makes homemade apple pies and uses the same one. She loves it.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    You do have to be careful about irregularly shaped apple. One option is to adjust the blade so it cuts a bit deeper. You sacrifice  some of the apple but you eliminate the skin. These are cheaply made clunkers but they get the job done.