Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRST PRIZE!!! Huevos Macho Grande chili verde

chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ingredients_web.jpg
<p />Wow, I won my first ever competition! It was a green chili competition at work, 13 entries. There were some great chilis entered, but the winning touch I think was the smoke flavor I got by smoking the tomatillos, peppers, and onions on my large BGE. Lots of hickory smoke, for about 10 minutes only. I got lots of great complements on the unique smoky smell/flavor in the final product.[p]I owe thanks to thirdeye for suggesting that I sprinkle the dry spices over the cubed pork then cooking in the egg, instead of the usual method of browning in the bottom of the stockpot. [p]I also owe thanks to WDAN for suggesting a pork sirloin roast as the meat instead of pork tenderloin.[p]I'll try to put together a photo log & post. If there's expressed interest, I can post the recipe I used, as well. I decided that for this recipe, I didn't want to use any canned sauces, so everything was cooked from scratch.[p]All hail the egg - smoker extraordinaire![p]Chuck[p]

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    chuckls,
    i wanted to try and keep a low profile since i really screwed up on the forum, but i really want to say Congratulations!!! Its not easy to put together a recipe that can outdo another, especially 12 other cooks going for bragging rights. I would love to find out what you came up with.[p]Scott

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    chuckls,
    Good job!! That pile of ingredients sure looked like a winner the other day when you posted it, glad it turned out good for you.

• chuckls,[p]Congratulations on your win![p]phillip
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    chuck,[p]Congrats on your victory! Let's see some pictures and that championship recipe.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS....Is that white stuff falling at your place tonight? I've got about 5" on my deck.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    thirdeye,[p]White stuff! 90 degrees today. Our cold front comes in tomorrow. Gonna take us down to a high of 70 for tomorrow, but should be back up low 80s (phew) for the weekend. Can handle a little cool, but not WHITE stuff! Eyow.[p]CONGRATS, Chuckls. Looking forward to sampling the recipe that you will surely share with us (ahem.)[p]mShark (needing something warm for that nasty winter ahead)
  • thirdeye
    mollyshark,[p]Action photo above. Some green chili and eggs would be good for breakfast.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    chuckls,
    Congrats on your win![p]Now I've been asked to find out more about that beautiful countertop in the background. We assume it is granite - right?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chuckls,[p]Congrats! Ingredients look great.
    Please post recipe. As a carnitas and chili verde connoisseur I would love to know the recipe you followed.[p]Thanks,[p]Bean town

• chuckls
    eggor,[p]Thanks! Glad to hear about the medicinal value of beer, but watch that dosage![p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    Bobby-Q,[p]Thanks for the comment! It was a challenge to make everything from scratch![p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    bbqwizard,[p]Thanks! Having never done a contest before, it was a whole new set of emotions for me![p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    mollyshark,[p]Thanks! Yup I got the recipe here in my pocket. It'll take some fiddeling to get it into the computer, but I will post it![p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks! I especially appreciate the very timely call on Sunday to help me adjust the heat factor. That was very thoughtful of you. [p]The pic you posted of the snow there in Casper makes me glad that we didn't get any here in the Colorado Northern Front Range. But we're supposed to get a hard freeze tonight, down to 20 deg. [p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    RRP,[p]Thanks! Yes, the countertop is granite. I found a good cleaner for it, that really helps keep the shine factor up there. It's called something "..Magic", I get it at Ace hardware.[p]Thanks again for the nice comment![p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    bean town griller,[p]Thanks for the nice comment! I've got the recipe here in my pocket, will take a bit to get it into the computer but I will definitely post it.[p]I started with a suggested recipe from thirdeye, then adapted it to my taste by browsing the International Chili Society website, & cherry picking ideas from the recipes of the winners from the last 5 years. Threw in a couple of twists of my own, and there you have it! Well, you'll have it when I get the recipe posted.[p]Thanks again![p]Chuck
  • thirdeye
    chuckls,[p]You are more than welcome, especially since I mixed up the peppers in my e-mail. Corrections on my end have been made and I have learned another lesson. Glad everything worked out. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• chuckls,[p]Fair enough - I'll be looking for the post![p]Thanks,
    josh

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    chuckls,
    Nice job! Man, your ingredients pic is fancier than my final presentation...nobody necessarily wants to get their pic taken while sittin' next to my chili, but they aren't shy when it comes to eating it. Thought about your situation much of the weekend while I was making my first indoor batch of the season. I used stew meat beef chunks and hand-cubed pork sirloin roast. Got the usual raves (and above all, approval from the daughter who requested it for her b'day dinner), but I couldn't stop wondering how it would have tasted if I could pre-grill a bunch of it on the Egg. I've never done a chili verde-style either. Am looking forward to seeing your recipe.

• chuckls
    WDAN,[p]10-4, I promise to put it together! Man this work thing has got me swamped but I'll get 'er done![p]Chuck