Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby backs too tough

Options
pipedream
pipedream Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i buy my baby back ribs at sam's club. best ones i have found, better than my other local grocery store options. i rub them down with mustard, then my favorite dry rub. i have a plate setter for indirect heat, i have the v rack, i use the 3-1-1 method, BUT my ribs always come out tougher, chewier than i would like.
they taste great, flavor from the rub and the smoke is awesome, just not as tender as i would like.
any advice would be appreciated.
do any of you guys use meat tenderizer on them first?

Comments

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hey pipedream,
    On your 311 method, make sure you are cooking indirect and your heat is about 250 dome. On that fourth hour make sure the rbs are wraped well in foil and the fifth hour you can leave it indirect and use little bbq sauce. spray with apple juice as the cooking parcess goes along. I did ribs this last weekend from Sams with the same 311 method. I felt the same way although they were not bad. These ribs were exceptionally meaty and thick. Real bbq, not falling off the bone but not tough.
    billyg
  • pipedream
    Options
    thanks billyg, i will try the apple juice trick. do you buy alot of your meat from Sam's? i don't have too many choices in my area, Winn-Dixie has gone down hill since all their financial troubles began, the Food-World isn't bad but isn't great either. Wal-Mart never has anything and I dread going in the wretched place, so Sam's is about it for me - though we are getting some new Publix supermarkets in my area soon. - pipedream
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I have shopping at Sam's for a number of years. I have never been disappointed in any of their meat or fish. I live north of chicago in Illinois. We are fortunate to have several places to shop for beef, poultry, pork and fish. It depends what's on sale. Beef (steaks) I like to get cut a little thicker for the egg and all the stores are accomadating. The Sam's club ribs were meater than others I have gotten. I thought they were very good but a little chewer than others. Real BBQ people really like them that way so I can't complain. Good cooking.
    Billyg