Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breathing Problems on 2nd or 3rd Burn

I m a 6 year egg veteran and have from time to time I have experienced poor restart on my 2nd or 3rd burn. I am fully aware of the stirring of the coals to drop the ash into the pit. In spite of that rprocess the draw is greatly reduced due to the small coals blocking the holes. One partial solution i have tried is to insert the 3 inch metal tube in the center spot and pour the coals around it. The tube (was the insert of beer chicken rack) has holes in it so it provides air from top to bottom. When all else fail, I take my old vacuum and turn it around, put it on a table the same height as the bottom vent and fire it up blowing air into the belly of the egg. You can get 800 degrees using that method. However I am open to suggestions on normal methods to get better breathing on the restart.

Maybe its me but much of the charcoal seems to be a few large pieces and then a lot of very small pieces. I have tried two brands and still the same poor quality. Any suggestions on brands that are more consistent with their quality.

Comments

• Do you stir up your leftover lump?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    High-Que grate will help if you have a medium or large. 

I don't have that problem, at least very often.  I don't stir up the coals when relighting....I feel that just knocks small chunks into the chokepoint.
    High Que Fire Grate?  Since I've replaced the stock BGE fire grate with the High Que grate I've had no problems with air flow on restarts.
  • I like to do a total clean after like ever 4th or 5th cook I take apart my large egg get the shop vac and clean it out completly put it back together and load up with lump and I have no trouble at all I found that if I dont do this the small wholes in the fire box sometimes get clogged and well clogged = poor air flow poor air flow = trouble with fire so after every 4th or 5th cook I spend 5 mins cleaning and I get hours of pleasureable cooking I'm just saying !!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    +1 more for the high-Q.  I have it on my large and small and it makes a big difference.  

@stlcharcoal also sells one I believe that looks similar and is priced a little cheaper. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    On my XL I always make sure I clear out a small spot at the front of the firebox where at least one hole (usually 2) is clearly open for airflow.  It leaves a small cool spot on front of the grill but on the XL there tends to be plenty of grill space.  Once I started doing that I had no further temperature problems.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

+1 more for the high-Q.  I have it on my large and small and it makes a big difference.  

@stlcharcoal also sells one I believe that looks similar and is priced a little cheaper. 
    +1 for the option from @stlcharcoal! I used to have to do as @charlesmaneri described every 4-6 cooks. I ordered the new fire grate and I haven't had to do a full clean since, probably 20+ cooks by now.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    High-Que grate will help if you have a medium or large. 

I don't have that problem, at least very often.  I don't stir up the coals when relighting....I feel that just knocks small chunks into the chokepoint.
    Agreed. With the stock grate, 2nd or 3rd lights were a crap shoot, the High-Q made a huge difference. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I use a stainless spider and lift the used lump and shake out the ash. Do a full clean every twenty or so cooks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• +1 more for the high-Q.  I have it on my large and small and it makes a big difference.  

I make them out of 9 gauge flattened expanded stainless steel.  They're crosshatched so the long skinny pieces of charcoal do not fall through. 
  • When I stir up the coals to knock off the ash I typically go ahead and add additional charcoal.  I scrape all the old stuff to one side of the grate and add fresh lump.  I then scrape all the small leavings up the side and onto the top of the fresh lump and fill the empty side with more fresh lump.  I then light the small stuff on top and let the VOCs burn off..

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • +1 more for the high-Q.  I have it on my large and small and it makes a big difference.  

I make them out of 9 gauge flattened expanded stainless steel.  They're crosshatched so the long skinny pieces of charcoal do not fall through. 
    I'll give a thumbs up for this grate.  I've had it a few weeks and the egg gets up to temp much quicker than with the standard grate on 1st, 2nd or 3rd burns.  I'll usually just give the coals a quick stir.  Really holds the temps well on the low and slows.  The only test I haven't given it is the high heat pizza cook, but judging on how quick it's been getting to 400, I don't think it will be a problem.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014