Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan

Options
I have been noticing a lot of posts saying to put something between the drip pan and plate setter I was was wondering what is the benifit of doing this as of so far I haven't done this but I'm willing to try 
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    It keeps your drip pan cooler. Therefore not buring the drippings or the pan. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The plate setter conducts heat into the drip pan until it reaches the same temp. While the air in the egg is lower, the plate setter is much hotter to due it's proximity to the lump and the type of heating it is experiencing. Any dripping that fall into the pan will burn due to this increased heat, which can give unwanted flavors to the meat.

Putting in a spacer creates an air gap which insulates against this heat transfer(like double pane windows work). This helps prevent the burning of the drippings.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Just hit your local hardware store and pick up 4 steel 1/2 inch nuts.

Perfect spacers that will never wear out.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Or small rocks or aluminum foil balls...I use copper t's from HD...