Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza situation?

So I have cooked pizza four times now and its always been pretty good.I've used AP flour and the martha stewart basic dough recipie that I saw on here awhile back.My problem is the pizza toppings do not cook enough as we generally like the toppings charred almost like put under a oven broiler for a minute or two.I usually cook at 500-525 for about 8-10 minutes atop the adj rig extender so i'm as high in the dome as I can get.How do I get a a crispy crust and toppings that are cooked a little more without burning the pie??? Lower temp for longer or do I need different four and increase the temp?? Usually we top with chesse ,pepperoni,mushroom,onion and green pepper.

thanks!!!
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited September 2013
    Is the pizza stone warmed up before you place the pizza on? if so do you know what temp it is? Maybe the crust is cooking too quickly before the toppings can cook through.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Yes the stone is hot,usually let it heat for 20 min or so.The crust is good, nice and brown its just the toppings that don't cook enough?

• Put under broiler for a minute or two. :)
  • CANMAN1976
    Put under broiler for a minute or two. :)
    Already done that for my lunch today and it was really good.I just want to egg the whole cook.

• Tell us about yer setup bye

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• maybe you could not give the stone quite as long of a head start heating up or, what i've seen others do is put the pizza on a stone, and then suspend another pizza stone above it via an adjustable rig or woo.  the second stone above the pizza conducts radiant heat back down on top of the pizza, so you have it cooking hot from all angles.  this more closely resembles a commercial pizza oven.  it gives you thermal mass all around the pie. 
  • Use a couple of bricks to raise the pizza stone up in the dome that should give you more top heat.

Gerhard
  • CANMAN1976
    gerhardk said:

Use a couple of bricks to raise the pizza stone up in the dome that should give you more top heat.

Gerhard
    Thought on top if the rig extender would be high enough ....it's really high in the dome as is.

• My son. You need another heat barrier. Another stone or an indirect piece. Even a pizza pan full of sand. Trick is to prevent the stone from getting too hot from the radiant heat of the lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    I do have a indirect piece down on the spider. I use the 13" bge stone down low and the 14" pizza stone on the adjustable rig extender up high.the crust is perfect at ten minutes but the toppings aren't done enough at this point is the problem.

• I use the adjustable rig. Grid on top, indirect piece, copper plumbing tees on that and stone on top. Bet you have too much space between the indirect piece and the stone.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976

I use the adjustable rig. Grid on top, indirect piece, copper plumbing tees on that and stone on top. Bet you have too much space between the indirect piece and the stone.

I use the adjustable rig. Grid on top, indirect piece, copper plumbing tees on that and stone on top. Bet you have too much space between the indirect piece and the stone.

You maybe right LS.There is alot of distance between the two stones,will try your method next time:)

• To quote Gordon Pincent, Canadians don't lie. B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Another technique - use the same set-up, same temps and cut back on the toppings by maybe 1/3rd. Try a pie and see how it goes. I'm betting with less topping your pie will cook and the cheese will brown. Plus  - if you use lots of 'shrooms, peppers and onions, you have to evaporate much of the moisture before they start to cook. Try nuking them to "pre-cook" just a touch. Key is to change only one thing at a time, otherwise it's like chasing a fart in a windstorm. Good Luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    do what little steven says and also raise the temps to 650/700 and you should be good to go. the hotter the heat the faster it flows up into the dome to cook the top. above 700 you should get some black charring on top
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • photo DSC_0130-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I do mine hot too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    Will all purpose flour burn at those temps?

• fishlessman
    Will all purpose flour burn at those temps?
    ive used regular store bought pizza dough in the egg as high as 1200 degrees dome without burning the bottom, might not get as much spring but it does work. dont go to 1200
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• I've found that closing the daisy wheel (minimal air flow) entirely helps cook the top of the pizza better

I also cook mine at 600 and top always cooks to done

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you are just cooking one pie, you might try not pre-heating the stone.  Put the pie on the stone, and set the stone in the egg.  Of course, this doesn't help on your second pie! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CANMAN1976

I've found that closing the daisy wheel (minimal air flow) entirely helps cook the top of the pizza better

Won't the temp drop off if you close the DW? I usually dont have the dw on for pizza cooks.

• If it takes your pizza 8-10 minutes for a perfect crust, then just ramp up the heat as soon as you put it on. The bottom will still cook just how you like because the stone isn't going to get a lot hotter with a pizza sitting on it. But 8-10 minutes is plenty of time to get more heat in the dome.

Another alternative is to take you pizza off the stone after the bottom is done and put it on a cookie sheet or something while the top finishes. That way the bottom doesn't continue to cook.
  • fishlessman
    something ive done with bread baking is swipe the stone with a cool damp towell before it goes on, gives you another couple of minutes of cook time.  damp/ not wet
    fukahwee maine

• I've found that closing the daisy wheel (minimal air flow) entirely helps cook the top of the pizza better

Won't the temp drop off if you close the DW? I usually dont have the dw on for pizza cooks.
    as mentioned it only takes the pie around 8 minutes to cook. If you allow the dome to heat up and stay stable at 600 for about 45 minutes while warming your stone, the temp won't come down too far in 8 minutes. Just my experience when I close the wheel entirely I get a darker more cooked top which I like

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• CANMAN1976
    Thanks for all the tips!!!

Will let you all know how it turns out when I do my next pizza:)