Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Grilled Filet

I did these T Rex style with Char Grill Seasoning.  Was pretty tasty......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I don't believe it.  Looks horrible.  Glad you were able to choke it down.  :))

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Wow, I just threw my spatchcock in the disposal, beautiful cook. 
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Dang, hungry again. Looks good.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Looks awesome! What kind of seasoning/rub did you use? Google search didn't pull up too much..
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    WOW! I've always been a reverse sear kinda guy, I think you just converted me.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • With regard to the sear stage--did you use cast iron griddle or a cast iron skillet for that part of the cook--I did not see any grill grate marks so curious as to how you cooked first stage?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow that does look incredible.  

I didn't have any luck googlin' for "Char Grill" rub either.  Char Crust perhaps? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Aquacop said:

Wow, I just threw my spatchcock in the disposal, beautiful cook. 

Why?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    I apologize for the late responses.  Here we go.....

FLbobecu said:
    Looks awesome! What kind of seasoning/rub did you use? Google search didn't pull up too much..
    That was my bad.  Its Char Crust.  I used the Roasted Garlic Peppercorn.

With regard to the sear stage--did you use cast iron griddle or a cast iron skillet for that part of the cook--I did not see any grill grate marks so curious as to how you cooked first stage?
    Nope.  No Cast Iron griddle or skillet.  I used a heavy dose of Char Crust on both sides so it took the place of any grate marks.

porta said:
    WOW! I've always been a reverse sear kinda guy, I think you just converted me.
    I do both methods.  I used the T Rex for this one since my grill got up to about 700 before I knew it!   Couple other tips:  
    • I like to keep a thick cut steak out at room temp at least 1 hour, and no more than 2 hours before I sear
    • I seared these 2 minutes per side (I timed it with a timer) with the lid OPEN.  I have found if I sear with the lid down I get more grey matter in the steak
    • When I remove the steak and let it rest after the sear I close the bottom vent the whole way, but leave the Daisy Wheel OFF.  It takes about 10-15 minutes for the grill to come down to about 400.  Then I put the meat back on to roast.  I continue to leave the daisy wheel off and open the bottom vent just a smudge to allow airflow.  This is a good time to add hickory, mesquite, or whatever firespice you like!
    • I let it roast 10 minutes, then flip every 5 minutes until done.  I use a thermapen to know just when to pull it.
    Enjoy!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]