Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st overnight butt

Options
Decided that I've more or less figured out the simpler cooks (steaks, ribs), I'll give the overnighter a try.  Staggered fist-sized chunks of hickory and alder in my charcoal stack.  Fired up egg, immediately put in plate setter, drip tray and grid.  Once nasty smoke cleared, shut grid and got it to about 250.  Put in my 10lb pork shoulder (injected with Chris Lilly marinade and homemade rub) at 9:30.  Hooked up my new DigiQ DX for the first time and set the pit temp to 240 and food temp to 190.  Went to bed.  Woke at 7am to check on it.  Pit temp was steady at 240, and butt IT temp was 145.  Hit a litte bit of a stall at around 170.  Bumped up the pit temp to 285, pushed through it and hit my target temp right before 16 hrs.  Foiled the butt, put in unheated oven for a few hours to rest, pulled and served.

Comments