Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone seal their dome thermometer?

Options
I've noticed on my long low and slows, my dome thermo fogs up a bit. It's no big deal, but it does indicate to me that is an open point in my egg. It's so small and minor that I consider it to be negligible, but I'd like to hear thoughts from you guys. Seal with RTV silicone or leave it as is?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I've never seen one sealed.
  • Nick2cd
    Nick2cd Posts: 49
    Options
    is the steamed up thermo pretty typical?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think so. It happens to mine all the time. Someone drilled a pinhole in the back to prevent this sometime last year, I believe. The moisture does not affect performance.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I took the clip off to remove and clean occasionally. Drilling the hole will eliminate the warranty. If guys cook with no gasket I can't imagine that small of a hole affecting anything. Just my 2 cents.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2013
    Options

I have lived through 3 generations of crappy dome thermometers, before the switch to the present Tel-Tru. The old ones were notorious for sucking up water and then creating the inside condensation. I used to run a bead of silicone around these faces, but with little luck.  I have never sealed any of my Tel-Tru and have had no issues. Me thinks the occasional Tel-Tru with a problem is actually few and far between.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.