Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried APL's Steak

Decided to try out one of APL's steak recipes I found online last night. Made my herb paintbrush with rosemary, thyme and oregano.

Butter baste for the steak

One 16oz ribeye that I picked up at Hirsch's Meat Market in Plano

Made my board sauce

Ended up overcooking the steak to my liking. Whoops

Even though I screwed up the cooking of the steak, it turned out really good. Tons of flavor. Going to have to try it again real soon. And then because Griffin's Grub is turning 2 tomorrow, we celebrated with a little Tres Leches. Yeah, it was store bought, so sue me. I've had a really long, stressful, crappy week and trying to make a cake wasn't gonna happen. Not to mention, what would the two of us do with a whole cake?

Hope everybody has a great weekend and a wonderful Labor Day. I'll be stuck doing wedding stuff for my cousin all weekend, so doubt I will be able to fire up the Egg until Monday.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Tres Leches is awesome. If you really want to go into orbit try the quatro Leches at Lu Duni. It's awesome!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Looks really good, thanks for sharing.  He is very big on board finishing sauces so I am trying soon.  Starting to think I would like a nice wooden cutting board just for cutting steaks and doing board sauces--seems like that would be a nice presentation.  I have been fine with plastic boards for cutting boards, but like the way his presentation looks when you watch a video or see book photos, the wooden boards are very nice.  Probably stick with plastic for raw meat prep and just have a nice wooden board dedicated to cooked meat/board sauces.
  • Not sure what is going on with all the question marks in my last post, I did not type those in there.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@SmokinTiger81 I was going to use my wooden cutting board and then this happened. Don't leave a wooden cutting board on the stove when it is on. Or a plastic one for that matter.

Rowlett, Texas

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Use that side to cut cajun redfish...   :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Wow, the forum's featuring Friday formatting fails!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• @griffin--well your plastic does look better than that one.  Tell swmbo to be more carefull.  On the other hand, good thing you she did not burn the plastic one, that would have been one heck of a melted mess on your burner.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Even though not the color I prefer, steak looks great.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks really good Griffin.  I have to say though, I'm just not sure I buy the herb paintbrush thing. What did you think?  It just seems you would be far better off mixing herbs in with the butter and using a normal brush ;).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @SmokeyPitt,
    The brush keeps the herbs from burning from direct heat(which would happen if they were directly on the meat) while the warmth of the butter releases oils into the it(onto the steak). The herbs "toast" on the spoon while brushing which concentrates flavor. I have noticed that the infused flavors are more pronounced than when I just use a pat of butter with fresh herbs while the steak rests.

Plus, it is a cool presentation.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @griffin--well your plastic does look better than that one.  Tell swmbo to be more carefull.  On the other hand, good thing you she did not burn the plastic one, that would have been one heck of a melted mess on your burner.

I've done that before as well, not a pretty sight.

@SmokeyPitt I don't know, maybe. But repeatedly applying the butter with the herbs exposes them to heat releasing oils like Eggcelsior said. Forgot to mention that when you are done cooking the steak, you cut the ends of the herb paintbrush off and mix them in with your board sauce. I'm no scientist (actually I am, but not a food one), but it really seems to work. Steak had a great flavor.

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Makes sense...guess I will have to give it a try and see! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yum....blackened cutting board. I'd try running that through my planer, or hitting it with a sander.
    Looks good Griff.  Nice technique with the herbs. Happy Anniversary!