Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Needing some advice on thermometer probe

I purchased the grill extender during the group buy and am using a PSWoo on my LBGE.  I bought a small Weber SS grid for the top level, and it fits fine...at least horizontally.  The issue I am having is that every time I use the top grid, the temperature probe hits the meat and either pops the thermometer loose, or it penetrates the food.  

Any thoughts here?  I have no issue with replacing the stock thermometer with one that is shorter, but I'm not certain how long the probe needs to be to ensure accuracy.  Also, I'm open to any other ideas you folks have.

Thanks, as always.
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    take the clip off the back and toss it.  I leave mine loose and if i have something tall I just run with out it.  I know a lot of people around here stick them through wine corks etc. to shim it out a bit.  the last 1/4 of an inch or so is where it takes the temp reading.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    my suggestion is adding some spacers, I've seen it done here on a mini with wooden spacers, which are probably available at a crafts store, or maybe ace hardware.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    the tru tel 2.5 inch stem reads low by about 10 percent from the 4 inch standard stem. its what i use, dont really see that its a problem since im not timing my cooks, steaks dont seem to notice im searing at 770, not at 700
    :)) prettty much most cooks you dont need much accuracy accept maybe for bread baking then its easy enough to do the math
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    You can use the probe clip from the inside and use it as a spacer on the outside
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I couldn't figure out how to attach a file to my submitted post above.   I did find a picture 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I use corks as spacers between the dome and therm on my eggs. Use a natural cork not a synthetic one.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Thanks, everyone!  I knew I could count on this group for some creative solutions.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Yep, a natural wine cork trimmed to the length you want and a 1/8 inch drill to bore out a passage for the temp probe and you're in business.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon