Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby is kinda ugly

Options
I just picked up a new medium with nest and eggmates.  I wanted to put a couple coats of spar urethane on the eggmates before putting the egg together so I pulled them out of the box and they are the new 2 slat designs.  Ok, I can live with that.  But then I looked at the color and finish.
First, its an icky brown.  The lighter color of my other egg mates was much nicer.  Second it looks like the finish was slapped on with a worn out paintbrush by a 4 year old kid at pre-school.

So now I'm trying to decide what to do.  Options that crossed my mind:

1) Paint it either black or royal blue in semi gloss or gloss paint.
2) Restain it with a dark stain.
3) Strip it and try to match the egg mates on my XL.

Given the dirt build-up on my XL eggmates (yes I clean them from time to time), painting it black is an appealing option.  Having to fully strip the shelves is least appealing. 

Suggestions?  Any of you customize your eggmates?

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got those also. When I took mine out of the box they weren't even completely dry yet and like you said the paint was splotchy and even missing in areas. I just use mine as is but would not recommend them.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mine look a little better than that but I'm planning on sanding them down and re-staining.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Excuse me, but since they have gone to cheap plastic handles I wonder if those wings are even made of wood. That might explain the "uncured" or "not quite dry" nature. Cheap is what cheap shows best...cheapness!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    They're definitely wood. Aren't the plastic ones more expensive anyway? :))
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    All I can think about is the Seinfeld episode.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Nick2cd
    Nick2cd Posts: 49
    Options
    i came to the same conclusion as soon as i pulled my eggmates out of the box.  i think they are advertised to be made of cedar.  i feel like if i sneeze too hard around them, they may shatter.  it's on my list to make new wooden shelves as soon as time allows (probably 2017).  i may use walnut or cherry with a good spar varnish.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I just got a set and they are plastic
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options

Breathtaking.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• grego
    grego Posts: 17
    Options
    Got a set yesterday. They are composite. The BGE site confirms it, made from a wood grained composite.
    Floral Park, NY
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I believe the new wood mates only lasted a year. The new new mates are plastic/composite, and I believe are replacing the old gray composite and wood mates. I'm not so much a fan, and could see people picking other ceramic grill products over the bge because of them.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i think these changes are going to backfire in time. my new kub mini from vision wood mates are so nice i actally take them inside when not in use
    :)) not sure how long thats going to last cause it surprises even me
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    @Lit You're right they don't feel dry.  I forgot to add that gripe.

If it is a composite, then paint is the best course.  I'll wipe them down with a mild solvent and use a primer that really sticks.

• Ragtop99
    Options
    There is a 4th option.  A while back, I saw someone remove the wood slats and attach bamboo cutting boards in their place to get a bigger area with no gaps for stuff to fall through.

Of course by the time I do that, I could have bought the shelves instead of the mates. 
    ~X(
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    Too bad the Egg people are doing like everyone else getting cheaper by cutting corners like the plastic handles. I must have gotten one of the last with wood handles. Thank you Lord.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Too bad the Egg people are doing like everyone else getting cheaper by cutting corners like the plastic handles. I must have gotten one of the last with wood handles. Thank you Lord.
    First off, no such thing as an ugly new egg. congrats on the purchase.

I like the look of wood as well, glad mine has them. I have not seen the new plastic handles, but have seen the new mates. 
    However, years ago I had a deluxe gas grill with red wood shelves and hardwood handles on the cast lid. Over the ten years plus I owned it, I replaced the handles and refinished the shelves at least twice.
    My 12 year old Broil King gasser has plastic/composite shelves and handles. Clean them with the pressure washer and they look like new - Although not as pleasing to the eye, plastic might be a very practical solution.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    My 12 year old Broil King gasser has plastic/composite shelves and handles. Clean them with the pressure washer and they look like new - Although not as pleasing to the eye, plastic might be a very practical solution.   
    The white composite shelves are nice and I would not complain about them.  For almost a Benjamin, the mates are not very nice.  I'm paying a lot for that bracket. 
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Not sure if those egg mates are universal sized but I have seen stainless steel covers online that fit the large egg. Been meaning to pick some up myself but then again I've been meaning to do a lotta things

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Ragtop99
    Options
    A face only a mother could love...

My wife said meh, just use it as is.  I thought she would hate it more than me.  So for now, I'm just going to put it together and see if I get use to it.