Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza cheese - what is your favorite?

Options
I've tried mozzarella alone, mixed with provolone, mixed with white cheddar, mixed with scarmoza. six cheese blend. Pre shredded, freshly shredded. I've nailed it for Chicago Deep Dish or Double Crust with sliced Mozza and provolone. Still haven't found the perfect cheese for a NY style pie. What is your favorite?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Whole milk mozzarella with provolone. Always fresh shredded.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited August 2013
    Options
    There's a huge range of "mozzarella".  The style that comes packed in water is my go-to (just avoid the small balls of mozz packed in a tub of water; they taste okay, but when put on a pizza half of them roll off when you "snap" the pie onto the stone, fall into the lump, and smell really bad as they burn.)
    There's a couple pizzarias in utard that have that Italian "authenticity" certification (can't remember it's italian wording) and they serve margherita pies with buffalo mozzerella, which is fantastic!  I can't find it by itself however, and the restaurants won't give me any hints.  Bastiges!  
    Find it interesting that all Chicago-style pies use the dehydrated, "Americanized" mozzerella, none of them use the fresh stuff.  
    Variety, its a great thing!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Fresh shredded mozzarella and whole milk cheese. Do NOT use 2% or low fat. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    My favorite is buffalo mozz in water in the middle and fresh shaved asiago sprinkled on the crust. I've used pecorino Romano a few times when I didn't have asiago and it's nice as well.
    Cheers B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • blueinatl
    Options
    If I'm doing a mushroom blend pizza, I LOVE Fontina and Gruyere...  (in addition to Mozzarella).  Otherwise I'm quite happy with Mozzarella with a bit of Romano sprinkled on top as well.  You have to get a good Mozzarella though.
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • STLHomeFires
    Options
    I have to agree, Provolone is my favorite as well. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Italian Fontina is my favorite.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Fontina

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I use whole milk Mozzarella and Asiago.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I like spiced goat cheese with the fresh whole milk mozzarella. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Gruyère, Manchego, and Fontina are the three I usually reach for.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    mozz from the deli, not preshredded, not in a ball, just deli mozz. mixed with fontina and asiago, it needs asiago. i like the manchago too but use it mainly with nachos
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I first had fresh mozz a few years ago, and i try to use that whenever I can. I put a little parm or romano on. Fontina is good along with those, fontinella (if you can find it) even better. Often add a little bit of something else, say gorganzola dolce, smoked gouda, or a few dabs of soft chevre.