Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country-Style Ribs

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,476
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Country-style Ribs:

I've never tried the "3-2-1" method of making ribs before, so I gave it a shot today.    
I wrote up a list for the grocery store to make my own barbeque sauce, but I went to the farmer's market first in downtown Ogden and found a lady who canned her own barbeque sauce, so I bought a pint from her instead.  Very tasty, and she wasn't afraid to use a few chipotles!  Also picked up local tomatoes, peaches, and peppers; ended up only buying apple juice and a foil pan at the grocery store.  
Smoked the ribs until they hit 160.  Put them in the foil pan and covered with 1 part of that barbeque sauce, 3 parts apple juice, covered with foil, and placed it back in the Egg.  
The ribs hit 200 after only an hour, so I took them out and let them rest in the liquid while I heated the Egg up to grilling temperature.  I spread half the ribs with the barbeque sauce, left half plain, and grilled them (they were done in 15 minutes).  So, my "3-2-1" was actually a "3-1-0.25".  
They were very tasty, and moist (I did forget to brine the ribs, which I usually do, but the foil cooking probably replaced it).  I don't usually foil my ribs, and I'm not sure it was worth the trouble, but had to try it once.  I [i]do[/i] think next Saturday I'll find that lady and buy a few more pints of her sauce, good stuff!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• lisanevada
    Options
    Thanks for this. I have a couple pounds of country style pork ribs thawing right now.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    It's great finding a good local sauce/spice/jelly etc. at a farmer's market.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ragtop99 said: It's great finding a good local sauce/spice/jelly etc. at a farmer's market.

True dat!  I rode down on my motorcycle so I was limited as to the things I could buy; there were some fantastic-looking loaves and pastries that I was drooling over but didn't have the ability to carry... 
    The Ogden market also has a lot of local artists.  As I was leaving I saw a woman making rugs with an old-fashioned, manual loom.  I had to watch her for a few minutes, never actually understood how they worked but it was cool to see the process!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I'll have to try that, sounds very good. 
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.