Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Lamb

Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Did this last week and just got around to posting it.

Lamb, Rack, Ribs, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS :
2 Racks of Lamb
Marinade:
1 cup Italian Salad Dressing
4-6 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1/3 cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
1/3 cup Minced
1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
1 pinch Sea Salt
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Lemon, Juice From
Zaatar, A spice mixture found in Arab communities (Optional)
Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
1/4 cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

PROCEDURE:

1. Place all in blender (eggcept Lamb) and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.

2. This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.

3. Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,

4. If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.

5. Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

BGE Set-Up:

1. Used my medium BGE direct to get a sear on the fat cap, around 500F. After about 5-7 minutes removed the racks which were on 1" shish kabob skewers laying on the top of the base of the BGE.

2. After the sear removed the skewers from the egg and set up for indirect with HDAF under the racks which rested on the grate with the plate setter legs up.

3. Cooked for awhile 10-15 minutes or so until the internal was 135F-140ish. After I had the plate setter going I just shut the top and bottom down 'til around 350F and cooked the meat was to our liking-medium rare.

4. Served with asparagus,Turkish rice pilaf, mint jelly and fig preserves. Little red wine to wash down.

Recipe Type: Lamb, Main Dish, Marinade

Tips
After several attempts of using different skewers that I like, I found these a few months back. I bought them without the wood handles 'cause the wood eventually burns off in my eggsperience. These are 15'16" wide and 24 !/2" long. Fit very nicely on my large, medium and small eggs. Too short for the Xlrg.

http://www.sadaf.com/sadaf-bbq-skewer-wide-no-handles-90-7660/

Richard Melbooooring Fl.

Comments