Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza experiment...for folks with the right equipment

Options

I have a question for folks that have a pizza stone (preferably the BGE stone), a baking steel and an adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill store.

I’ve read quite a bit of information pertaining to people wanting to get the pizzas higher up in the dome … and that sort of makes sense, until I start thinking about all the brick ovens I've seen with higher "ceilings" than our eggs. So ... not sure if that's really what I should be chasing ... or something else.  I am wondering if the following might be a better solution...

For anyone that’s a pizza buff like me that has the components listed above … could you try the following:

Put the adjustable rig into your egg with your ceramic stone on the bottom … bring the egg up to about 500 – 550F. If you think there needs to be a damper/diffuser under the stone (you’d be a lot more knowledgeable than me, as I do not have one) – then do what makes sense to you.

Once the temp has been reached and stabilized, put the baking steel on the upper level and allow it to heat for about 5 – 10 minutes.

Cook the pizza on the stone. The radiant heat from the steel should help quicken the cooking of the toppings, while the crust is handled by the ceramic.

I’m aiming for a solid/lower temp on the stone as compared to the heat coming from the steel.

…and then let folks know if that works.

I’m basing (cough...stealing...cough) this on three or four different articles Kenji’s written on the Serious Eats blog … combining what I think I’m understanding from the kettle BBQ tool he talks about for Weber grills … and the steel. He did something very similar (so all credit goes to him, if this works) as he used the steel above the stone and got a wonderful crust. Here’s a link to the final article of Kenji's I’m basing my thoughts on: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/04/the-pizza-lab-combine-the-kettlepizza-and-the-baking-steel-for-the-ultimate-home-pizza-setup.html.

StlScott

(This message reads a tiny bit better if you have the theme from Mission Impossible playing in your head...)

Comments

• Federalist226
    Options
    Interesting idea. I have tried about everything in my pursuit of a Neapolitan pizza on the BGE (with the exception of what you are asking - I don't have a baking steel or an AR), and I think I've gotten pretty close. See my latest pizza cook HERE. Another one of my earlier pizza cooks is HERE.

I think high-temp pizza cooks are difficult, because it's hard to control the dome temperature at such high temps and it's hard to get the balance right between stone temp and dome temp. Using the steel above the stone might make it easier to achieve the right temperature balance.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Scott, I think your ideas are similar to what I posted here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142061/three-minute-pizza
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Pizza's I did last weekend were:  Platesetter legs up, BGE grid, Adj Rig on top of that, and pizza stone on top rack.  Worked fine for me.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77
    Options

Guys - thanks for the responses.  @billybon, you're right, that's darn close to what I was thinking.  I opted for steel on top as the bottom seems to cook quicker - and the steel should hold a higher temp.  However, your neapolitan pizza looks fantastic.  @YEMTrey, more good news ... thanks! 

StlScott

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I do my pizzas with the PS in the Woo grid on top, Woo extended on that and then the pizza stone. Always turns out good. I get the dome to around 600 and heat the stone for about 30mim before its pie on.

Last one I did in the CI skillet as a deep dish. Just used the Woo with the PS legs up, grid, and then the pan.
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Options
    I've omly done pizza on the egg twice. First time Woo, raised with stone and the bottom was burnt before the toppings were done. The second time I put the PS legs up with woo and stone and the top cooked nicely but the dough didn't get any color. I like the idea of putting the ps over the top, too. I've got some work to do from a trial and error perspective. Until I work it out ill just have to remember that pizza is like sex, even when it's bad it's pretty good.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE