Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question about the gasket on my new xl.

Options
I will be doing a high & fast brisket this weekend (@350). I would like to do it on my new xl, which would make it my 2nd cook on the xl. Seems like the fire below the plate setter would be a good bit hotter if the dome temp is 350. Will it ruin my gasket to cook at 350 dome temp with the plate setter on my 2nd run?

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Prolly not.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    well i dont buy into the gasket breakin theories, seems to me they either work or fail. 350 is not hot for an egg, if it fails upgrade the gasket. if it fails at 350 it shouldnt be on a grill anyways
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Can't see that you would have a problem at 350.  Don't worry - they aren't that hard to replace :))

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Agree with what's been said above. You should not have a problem @ 350. I didn't really fry mine until I did several high temp (500 and above) pizza cooks at or above the felt line. I then replaced with Rutland and haven't looked back for one second. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    well i dont buy into the gasket breakin theories, seems to me they either work or fail. 350 is not hot for an egg, if it fails upgrade the gasket. if it fails at 350 it shouldnt be on a grill anyways
    :))
    BINGO!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Just don't get drunk, spill BBQ sauce on the gasket, close the dome and fagedaboudit. The gaskets will fuse together and be ruined when you open the egg later. Don't ask me how I know.
    Flint, Michigan