Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatless in California

Gogogordy
Gogogordy Posts: 460
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Would it be sacrilege to say we had our first meatless evening meal in a very long time....and it was a refreshing change? I hate to say it, but whats been said cannot be unheard. We try to mix it up with chickybird and fish and always grill a veggie too, but frankly more pork and beef has slipped into our diets since we began egging, than in the last several years. Tonight we made a nice tomatoe bruschetta and pasta with artichoke pesto. Delish. Anyone else try go meatless occasionally, and besides grilled veggies or giving your egg the day off, what direction does meatless meals take you?
When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Funny I see this tonight, we had eggplant parm and pasta made with some roasted tomato sauce. I didn't even realize there was no meat until the meal was over and when I mentioned it to the wife she and gave me a big thumbs up knowing my eating habits.

The roasted sauce is simply plum tomatoes cut in half and laid out in a roasting pan with some kosher salt, and fresh basil sliced thin with some garlic and EVO. Cooked indirect at around 375 for an hour. The skins pull right off when its done then I give it a quick whirl in the food processor leaving it fairly chunky.

BTW this sauce works really well with lump crab meat.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Because of my church, I eat vegan about half the time, but for some reason when it's a time of no meat, fish, poultry, etc., I never use my Egg.  I have a few recipes for grilled tofu, but I've never tried them.  I also have some recipes for some vaguely "meat loaf"-like things made from lentils, etc., and I've wondered if those would be good cooked in the Egg.  Because there's no egg or cheese to hold them together, I'm sure they'd have to stay in a loaf pan during the whole cook, which means the smoke would only affect the top.  I keep meaning to try it, but I haven't.  When I think of the Egg, it's meat, poultry, and seafood I'm mostly thinking of.

Your meatless dinner sounded wonderful!

Theo
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I cook vegetarian pizza all the time.  Not vegan.
    @Theopan...gotra ask... Church?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I usually do meatless twice a week, giving the egg time off for good behavior.  One day is usually omlets.  The other is pasta.  Really love it this time of year when getting fresh veggies from the garden.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Altho the Egg is a major temptation to cook meat, we usually do at least 1 and often 2 vegetarian days a week. Depends a lot on the season. Last week, 2 days of grilled sweet corn, topped w. herbed butter and sprinkles of Parm. Yesterday, guacamole mixed w. cottage cheese, and eaten as a dip using vegetable chips. Cooler months invite stewing and soup making, so lots of dishes w. beans, lentils. rice. buckwheat, etc. Various squashes cut open, and used as "boats" w. legume and grain filling are Eggable.

I do sometimes try vegan, but excluding eggs and dairy, particularly butter, is irksome. No omelettes, no grilled cheese, no 'tates mashed w. butter, argggh...

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    I cook vegetarian pizza all the time.  Not vegan.
    The best veggie meal on the egg is veggie pizza.
    As @Hungry_Joe says, stuffed 'maters are also very good. Mushrooms seem to take on too much smoke, even if no smoke wood is used, so we tend to skillet those or do them on the gasser. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I definitely don't mind a meatless meal every now and then.  I have spent a great deal of time eating "low carb", so a meal of rice and beans is like a treat! 

I eat Veggie Pizza all the time.  Don't get me wrong, I like a "meatza" every now and then, but usually go for veggie. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    henapple said:
    @Theopan...gotra ask... Church?
    I converted to Orthodox Christianity (e.g. Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, etc.) a number of years ago, and as a spiritual discipline, a very small way of practicing a little self-denial, liberation from helpless obedience to our desires, we "fast" from meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, and alcohol on most Wednesdays and Fridays, and 4 times a year of a few weeks to several weeks (Lent is the longest and strictest).  Seems odd, but it's actually been really good for me.  It adds up to around half the year.  But that's about half the year when I don't use my Eggs <gasp>!  I may have to try smoking a lentil loaf or something...  :)
  • nolaegghead
    I wish more people would believe in religions that abstain from meat.  I benefit from the reduced meat prices. 
    edited August 2013
    I wish more people would believe in religions that abstain from meat.  I benefit from the reduced meat prices. 
    Capitalist pig! Oh wait, I like that idea....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    NEXT ACTION? . . . . . .
    >>enter troll mode(return)

That's why the T-Rex was so viscous... Short arms.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Tony, how did you find this gem? Were you researching some along the same lines for yourself? :))

Funny stuff.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    My first Pizza on the Egg was pesto, spinach, fresh basil, and artichoke hearts.  Friggin awesome!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Cookinbob said:
    My first Pizza on the Egg was pesto, spinach, fresh basil, and artichoke hearts.  Friggin awesome!

Now Im hungry....looks delish.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Pretty much all of my meals contain meat (with the exception of breakfast).  I  try to limit red meat to a certain extent though.  When I do eat red meat it's always grass-fed.
    Southern California
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Aviator said:

Tony, how did you find this gem? Were you researching some along the same lines for yourself? :))

Funny stuff.

That's why I take yoga classes...
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    henapple said:

Funny stuff.

That's why I take yoga classes...

=))

Pic or it did not happen

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.