Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new fire grate

Options
A buddy of mine is a fabricator and had this leftover piece of laser cut stainless laying around so I asked him to make a fire grate for me. There is not quite as much airflow as the of the expanded steel ones but to me it seems like it would allow much more air in than the stock grate. What do you guys think?

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I definitely think it's worth a try. 

My only concern is if the openings are large enough for the ashes to fall through, or if it will clog.

I am interested to see how it works out though.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Options
    Thats also what I was worried about, going to give it a try tomorrow
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

That's not going to allow the ash to fall through......those slits are not near large enough to allow for it.

What gauge is that?  If it was laser cut, I'm assuming it's thin.  It's probably going to warp or crack.

I've played around with a lot of different designs, mods, etc of firegrates and I've found the thickest gauge of flattened expanded SS304 is the best bet.