Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger formation question.

Hello all. So I am doing burgers for some friends tomorrow. I want to wow them yet perfect burgers continue to escape me on the egg. I have 2 pounds of 80/20 ground meat. I like my burgers larger as far as circumference is concerned but thinner as far as thickness is concerned. Every time I get them formed and cook them they shrink up and don't even fill the bun. Does anyone use a binder like an egg or bread crumbs to keep the patty together with a thinner approach? Any and all guidance welcome.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I don't use a binder, but I do find putting a nice big simple in the middle seems to help them stay in shape a little better and not ball up. Good luck, hope it works out great. I think burgers are one thing where the egg really excels.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I have The Perfect Burger Press (http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Perfect-Burger-Press/dp/B00440D0LS/). For your criterion of larger circumference this will definitely help, plus it automatically puts a dimple in the middle of the burger using the dimple insert. This helps the burger not puffing up like a meatball.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have been dimpling but not well enough I guess. I will look into that burger press for sure.
  • I too use burger press (http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Non-Stick-Single-Hamburger-Press/dp/B0002HBIAW/ref=cm_cr-mr-title).  I have had GREAT results with it.  I like it because you can fine tune the size (thickness not diameter) of the patty.  Never had a need for dimpling with this press.  It's a little on the expensive side, but its very sturdy.  I now actually enjoy making patties!
  • Use smaller buns!  ;)

How many patties are you making out of 2 lbs. of meat? I usually use no less than 1/3 pound per patty; never use any type of binder.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    For 2 pounds of beef I would add 2 eggs, worcestershire sauce, chopped bacon, bbq sauce and bread crumbs.

I grind and blend fresh meet and I am always amazed how little shrinkage there s when I make my own.

I have mixed sirloin, chuck and boneless country ribs.
    Also, brisket, chuck and ribs.

No binders needed, very moist and does not shrink.

Actually a lot of fun too.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    If you have HEB (Texas grocery store chain) get their premade Cowboy burgers. The last two times I have done that my wife has spontaneously commented "That is the best burger I have ever had in my life." I had to agree. They are over 1/2 pound each and shrink very little.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Thanks guys. Te burgers turned out alright. Not amazing by any means. Just added a little worster with some Montreal steak. Still need to hammer out the details.