Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24 more burgers for the freezer

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
imageimageThis may bore some here, but I wanted to  share what works for me. I buy these 11 pound tubes of 80% ground chuck from SAMS. Stick it in the freezer for 2 or 3 hours so it stiffens up. After wiping the outer plastic with a clean clothe wetted with rubbing alcohol I then slice thru the plastic which leaves a nice thick round patty in tact. Then I remove the rings, place on a cookie sheet and freeze 24 hours. Then package these 2 to a Food Saver bag and return to the freezer. These are roughly half pound burgers and are quite handy and delicious!image
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Good idea. That would come in handy for large burger cooks.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Great idea.  Thanks for sharing this.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Great tip Ron!
    Flint, Michigan
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

As is just normal, Ron, another terrific idea, one well worth copying.

Thanks for sharing.

You and @Mickey should get together and write a book, for crying out loud!

^:)^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great idea.  
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice. Going to do this.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77

Fantastic tip, Ron - thanks for sharing. 

Have you made any of these on the egg, yet?  Wondering how the texture is.  I know they always say to "minimally handle the meat" when putting them in patties ... curious if these were overly dense, or spot on.  If they're spot on, I'm doing the same thing and throwing 'em in the freezer for a quick meal.

StlScott

• RRP
    Scott, this is nothing new to me. I've been doing this for at least the past 6 or 7 years now. They are uniformly thick and consistent meaning they egg up just fine! I go 4/4/2 direct at 375. The last 2 is to melt slices of cheese.
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77

That's awesome - thanks for sharing!

StlScott

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Nice... I like the idea of having pre-made patties in the freezer for those days when dinner is a last minute decision.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I have done the smaller one pound packs the same way and made sliders. I do one pound packs of ground deer this way for sliders too. Works on breakfast sausage too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP said:
    Scott, this is nothing new to me. I've been doing this for at least the past 6 or 7 years now. They are uniformly thick and consistent meaning they egg up just fine! I go 4/4/2 direct at 375. The last 2 is to melt slices of cheese.

Parallel said:
    Nice... I like the idea of having pre-made patties in the freezer for those days when dinner is a last minute decision.
    Are you putting them on the egg right out of the freezer or letting them thaw? If the later then they would not necessarily work at the last minute.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I put the small ones on frozen.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    No, I always thaw mine first.  
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Nice idea, I'd never thought of it before.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP said:
    No, I always thaw mine first.  
    For 1/2 pound patties and, giving you cook times, that's what I assumed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.