Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travis Style Tri-tip, anyone done this?

Options
I'm wondering what temp I should cook to. Normally I'd cook tri tip to low 130s using reverse sear, but this is more of a braise so I'm thinking I should take it much higher. I don't mind taking it up to the point where it falls apart (because then we will have tacos), but nice tender slices would be great. Any thoughts folks?

Mix is made, tri tip seasoned, just lit the egg. Probably try to throw it on in 45 min or so.

Cheers
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tri tip is sirloin so it's not a great "fall apart" type meat. I would just grill it if it's not too late.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Yeah, I knew I was stepping out a bit too try something different. I'm going to let it ride and just see how it turns out. Worst case scenario it'll be stringy (maybe VERY stringy). I'll pull at 200 and try to slice. If that doesn't work I'll try to find some other way to salvage it.

Cheers
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it can all be saved :) Let us know how it turns out
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    On BBQ pitmasters one time the guys didn't know what it was and they took them to 200. No one complained.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It has enough marbled fat it'll probably seem moist.
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I have some pics to post later, but it turned out GREAT! Nice crunchy bark on the top, sliced beautifully, spicy, smoky, very good. Tender and juicy, but not falling apart. I wish I'd put in ten times the onions, they're amazing. Next time I'm making a big batch of mashed potatoes to go with this. Made a great sandwich.

Like I said, pics coming, but I'm pretty pleased and excited right now.

Cheers all
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I haven't done the Travis method but have foiled a tri tip and cooked it to around 200 and it probed tender. It was surprisingly much better than I would have thought it would be but I still prefer a tri tip cooked to about 130. Definitely results in a different texture but a viable alternative for some.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Here are a few pics. This really did turn out nice and I will DEFINITELY be doing this again. If there were any minor complaints its that the jus turned out pretty salty and might need to be cut with something to reduce that. Otherwise, highly recommended.

Took about 2.5 hrs @350, Raised, indirect w/ stone not setter. 

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    I love tri tip, especially on the egg. Will have to try this method. Yours looks tasty. Did you slice against the grain? Your first slice pic looks like it was with the grain.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Hey L2S, sorry I missed you before. I did slice against grain, and as thin as possible, which to me is vital for great tri tip. The sandwiches I made from these left overs were spectacular. 

Middleton, WI