Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extra Large for better indirect cooking?

Just wondering if low & slow temperature control is any easier on the XL  than the L.

Since the heat goes up the sides of the plate setter, can you get the meat further from the heat on the XL?

How low of a grill temperature have you guys been able to achieve with the XL v/s L?

Comments

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I've been able to maintain sub 200* while smoking a hunk of pork belly for bacon.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Is that on the large or extra-large?

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    XL
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited August 2013

My medium is much easier to hit any temp and hold it from 150-400 than my XL.

After 400 its about the same I feel.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Additional thoughts:

My most necessary usage of my DigiQ is for the really low cooks.  IE 160 - 180 for jerky.

Very tough temps to hold with any egg but can be done without.  DigiQ makes it a guarantee IMHO.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • nope. You can do it easily on either with just a little practice. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    My xl takes a bit longer to hit the temp, but locks in on 250º and loves to cruise there with out any atention. That is my go to for my competition rib cooker.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    My xl takes a bit longer to hit the temp, but locks in on 250º and loves to cruise there with out any atention. That is my go to for my competition rib cooker.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I've done multiple long (> 6 hrs) cooks on my XL and I'm usually happy with anything between 220 and 280. On most of them it settles in at 240 - 250 and stays there as long as I let it go. My longest so far is 16 hours and I've never seen the temp change more than 11 degrees from where it initially settled.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Never cooked on an XL - so not speaking from experience.

Would think the only advantage to an XL would be the quantity of meat one could cook at one time.

Cookin in Texas
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    boatbum said:

Never cooked on an XL - so not speaking from experience.

Would think the only advantage to an XL would be the quantity of meat one could cook at one time.

Well, if you really think about it, the Xl can hold more lump as well. So it can hold more meat and more lump. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Interesting question, we have recently added a new XL to our competition fleet.  It does in fact allow more room on the indirect cooks and we needed that with our pork butt cooks.  Using the XL here around the shop recently I have found that I do not like to use it (XL) as much as the Large for direct grilling cooks.  I have found in comparison with the large you are exposed to quite a deal more intense heat when handling food over the hot grill.   I need tongs that are 30"plus to keep from searing my knuckles-LOL.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA