Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Butts

Have two 5# butts from Costco that I need to prepare for tomorrow evening.  I am planning on getting up at 5 and getting them on by 6 AM. Figure they will take between 7 - 10 hours at 240 - 250 dome.  These will be the first butts on my egg.  I believe I am going to use a drip pan without water that is placed on foil balls on my placesetter.  Any other suggestions?  I seem to get the impression that water is not needed in the drip pan.  Is that correct?
Thanks,
RA
Long Island, NY

Comments

• I would still cover platesetter with foil since you are cooking two butts.

Little Rock, AR

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Put water or the drippings will burn. You can also sleep in and cook them at 300-350 and they will finish in 5 hours or so. If you go with the higher temp watch them and when the bark gets to your liking foil them and cook to 200.

• Water isnt necessary if you put space between platesetter and drip pan. He should be ok with the foil balls to make airspace.

Little Rock, AR

• JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Your stated plan sounds just right.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sounds like you have a good plan.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I cooked 2 eight pounders yesterday. I went with Mickeys turbo method, 3 hours at 350 then foiled and another 2 hours. 5 hours total, I may never go back to low n slow again.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Thanks everyone for all the input.  I am going to try it this way this time and see how it goes.  This afternoon I checked my Maverick and it was spot on at 212 for both readings in boiling water.  Got my Egg all set up so all I have to do is light her and get the temp stable.  Don't want to have too many tasks at 5 AM... ;-D

Long Island, NY
  • Only other thing is I would cook at 275 dome. I just cant tell the difference in that and 250 other than it takes a little more time at lower temp. Taste and tenderness seems same.

Little Rock, AR

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    There is no reason to use any water in the egg.  The butt drippings will not cause a bad taste.  I have done numerous pork butts on both the BGE and a Weber Smokey Mountain without water and never had one taste funny.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I love the smell of the drippings burning off the foil coveted platesetter. Drives the neighbors crazy

Ribs and butt do it all the time
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I've done many Costco butts, usually bigger, about 7-8 lbs. I usually put water or apple juice in the drip pan with some fruit, apple, orange quarters. I would do 275 dome for sure, the turbo method is good if your in a rush, sometimes I like to keep it low and slow. Invest in a Maverick and/or Thermapen, both are priceless. Once you get to 190 internal temp, wrap in foil, wrap a towel around them, throw them in a cooler for at least an hour and you'll end up with the moistest, most flavorful pulled pork you've ever had. Enjoy.
  • radamo
    The butts have been on just over an hour. Dome holding steady at about 250.  This is my first low and slow and so far it is easy peasy.  

I am a little concerned about my coals going out because I have one of the "BAD" batches of Wicked good.  Can't believe how much dust and tiny pieces there are in this bag (and I have another unopened). But I am a dump and go guy and so far she is holding steady.  Before I start I always do a good mix up and clean out to ensure a good flow at start up. See how it goes.

Long Island, NY
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    If you have decent airflow - at least one hole in your grate is not clogged - you'll be fine.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If you start to lose air flow you can take a coat hanger and stretch it out with one end pointing up, go through the lower door and poke up through the fire grate to clear some ash. I have had to do this with a dust dump in the past. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • radamo
    Foghorn,
    So far so good.  Holding steady at about 250 dome.  Grid up to 235 now.  Butts are up to 138, and 3 hours in.  Time to go shopping for my slaw fixin's.
    Long Island, NY
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I should clarify my statement above about water in the drip pan. I use the drippings for the base of my sauce or to reduce thick sauces like blues hog original. If you don't put any water you can't use the drippings and the drippings have really good flavor once you seperate the fat out.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I would try apple juice in your drip pan
    and also try injecting the butts with apple juice as well you will love the out come 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • radamo
    The butts came out really nice.  One of them was so moist it was awesome.  The other was a little less moist.  Must have had less marbling.  Both of them we really flavorful.  Next time I am going to try injecting but also will be getting a single larger 9-10 lb butt with bone in.  Those are always my favorite. Might even put a bit of water in the drip pan.  That will keep all the drippings as a fluid and they could be useful later as Lit pointed out. 

Nothing beats the flavor of meat cooked on this beast.

Thanks for all the tips.  
    Long Island, NY
  • radamo
    Here are the pictures from yesterday's cook.

First getting the egg started in the dark at 5 AM:

The egg getting up to temp and the butt twins waiting patiently:

The twins getting started on their journey:

A new slaw recipe I am trying (with a few tweaks but based on "I fought the slaw and the slaw won"):

The twins ready for pulling:
    Long Island, NY
  • Looks great. I've seen this before. Why wrap foil around wire to meat probe?
  • radamo
    I first used the probe when I was cooking direct at about 550.  Never took the foil off. I meant to... for low temps (under 350) and indirect where you can run the wire over the platesetter leg I am sure it is not needed. 

Long Island, NY