Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some suggestions on weekend chicken cook for 19 adults

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been asked to cook (due to everyone loving the egg) for a bday party this weekend at a neighbors house. I will be cooking prior to the party which starts at 6, and then bringing the food over. To keep cost down they have decided they want to buy whole chickens. Sounds easy as i due spatchcook usually once a month.
They are expecting 19 adults with an even mix of men/women. I am looking for some suggestions on how much chicken or whole birds i may need, and the best way to prepare? I have a Large egg including + adjustable rig and rig extender so plenty of room.

If i can cook all the chicken in one session that would be the perfect scenario. I wasnt sure if I should cut the whole chicken up into quarters, or do them spatchcocked, beer can..etc..  basically im still trying to figure out how much room i will have.

Thanks for any suggestions on this bigger cook, its appreciated.

Woodstock, GA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would break the chicken down into pieces. YOu'll be able to fit more than just the whole chicken.
  • Hogman348
    Options
    thats what i was thinking also. thanks for your input
    Woodstock, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    cant find a pic but years ago chefwill did 7,maybe 9 beer butt chickens in one cook in the large, i think the birds were all 3.5 pounders
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    depends on if they are standard size whole chickens or the "roasters" which tend to be bigger. We did 2 beer-can roasters (7-9lbs??) for 7 adults. Had one whole chicken left over. YMMV.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What size egg and what type of rig?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hogman348
    Options
    Large egg including + adjustable rig and rig extender

next i need to figure out how much chicken. i think the whole chickens at publix are around 4.5 lbs avg. i can usually feed 4 with that so im thinking of using that as a scale for how much chicken i will need.

this should be interesting. I'll make sure to take some pics along the way!
    Woodstock, GA
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    I also have a large, and have cooked many times for large gatherings and would suggest the following. I know you want to use all whole chickens, but I would do three whole chickens spatchcocked and as many breasts as you can fit. I can fit two large chickens spatched on the regular grate, and one spached on a raised grate surrounded by six large breasts.  I do it indirect to desired internal temp.  Some times I remove all chicken and plate setter, and put one bird at a time back on for a few minutes skin side down to really crisp it.

Each bird should feed 4-5 depending on male/female and each breast should feed 1-2 depending on male/female.  So total that should feed 20-27.
  • Hogman348
    Options
    JwgreDeux said:
    I also have a large, and have cooked many times for large gatherings and would suggest the following. I know you want to use all whole chickens, but I would do three whole chickens spatchcocked and as many breasts as you can fit. I can fit two large chickens spatched on the regular grate, and one spached on a raised grate surrounded by six large breasts.  I do it indirect to desired internal temp.  Some times I remove all chicken and plate setter, and put one bird at a time back on for a few minutes skin side down to really crisp it.

Each bird should feed 4-5 depending on male/female and each breast should feed 1-2 depending on male/female.  So total that should feed 20-27.
    thanks a bunch. that seems like a great way to go. plus its possible more will want the white meat so having a few extra of those will go a long way.  
    Woodstock, GA
  • Hogman348
    Options
    Hogman348 said:
    JwgreDeux said:

thanks a bunch. that seems like a great way to go. plus its possible more will want the white meat so having a few extra of those will go a long way.  
    Thanks a lot for the help. I set up just as you suggested. Some guests really enjoyed having the non-bone breast option. This was the perfect amount of chicken + leftover lunch for me the next day. Got busy cutting at the end and forgot to take final picks.

While shopping for the chicken friday night, i browsed the spice isle. I found Weber Beer Can Chicken rub and used this on all the chicken. Damn was it good. Will definitely use it again. All the party guests raved about the seasoning and how moist all the chicken was. (+1 green egg!)

Woodstock, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like you hit a home run. Congrats!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    talk them out of the Chicken and do a few butts instead. it would much easier. 
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    Hogman348 said:
    Hogman348 said:
    JwgreDeux said:

Thanks a lot for the help. I set up just as you suggested. Some guests really enjoyed having the non-bone breast option. This was the perfect amount of chicken + leftover lunch for me the next day. Got busy cutting at the end and forgot to take final picks.

While shopping for the chicken friday night, i browsed the spice isle. I found Weber Beer Can Chicken rub and used this on all the chicken. Damn was it good. Will definitely use it again. All the party guests raved about the seasoning and how moist all the chicken was. (+1 green egg!)

I'm glad it worked out for you.  I learned that set up by trial and error.  When my wife's family visits they always want chicken, so I've had to do it a few times.  The egg really does chicken well, obviously better than a gasser, so guests will usually be quite impressed.
  • Hogman348
    Options
    Mkline said:
    talk them out of the Chicken and do a few butts instead. it would much easier. 
    I cooked for the same group of 15 people in the spring and I did an 11 lb butt for that party so i was asked to do something different.  2 hours cook time vs 14 was nice this round  :D
    Woodstock, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The guest are always right... When they bring Glenfiddich. @Aviator... Bought a bottle of 15 year this weekend for my friend building my AR... Of course he shared.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN