Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom of ribs burning

Options
When I make ribs, I find that the bottom of the rack often ends up burned. I normally cook them for about 2 - 2.5 hours at 275 dome before foiling for 45 minutes or so. I use a plate setter with the grid on top of that. 

Does anybody else have this problem? Should I flip them once or twice? 

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @jimi1234 make sure your dome thermometer is accurate, calibrate with boiling water and wrench if needed. Also, use foil to protect the bottom of ends that overhang the plate-setter.
    canuckland
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I use a 16" cake pan I found when doing los and slows. It allows enough air flow and I don't have any overhang beyond the pan.

I used to have this problem but not anymore.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Anything that hangs over the plate setter will often burn.  You can cut the racks in half and in addition use foil or pans (or foil pans) to increase the coverage.  Rib rack also helps to fit them all and keep them out of the direct heat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My favorite racks come in twos

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    When I wrap, (in butcher paper only) I put the ribs in the wrap meat siide down. Then back in for 45 minutes. Then unwrap bone side down. For 30 to 45 minutes. When I wrap I do put some liquids in it.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I use a 16" cake pan I found when doing los and slows. It allows enough air flow and I don't have any overhang beyond the pan.

I used to have this problem but not anymore.

+1. I never had burnt problem probably because I do this too. I used the 16" round cake pan.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts